Headlamp issue - help wanted

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
hermanjirwin
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Headlamp issue - help wanted

Post by hermanjirwin »

Hi all. Desperately needing help please. My Drivers side headlamp goes out after 5 seconds. Tried it again and again. All fuses are ok. New bulbs in both headlamps. I’ve swapped the headlamp units left to right and the fault doesn’t follow the headlight, it stays on the drivers side. Eventually I’ve traced it to the feed from the Correction Body Control module. There are two multi plugs feeding the headlights, one feeds drivers side and the other the passenger. Passenger side lead has full 12 volts constantly. Drivers side drops from 12v to zero after 5 seconds. I’ve checked for high resistance from there to the bulb and it’s ok. Running out of ideas now other than go to the local VAG dealer (I’m an ex mechanic with a pathological fear of spending money when I think I should be able to do it myself), or replacing the comfort module. I imagine this is a major change: a) cos it’ll need coding on VAG Com and b) not keen on buying a new module just to prove a point, in case I’m wrong.
Has anyone seen this before? Has anyone got any ideas or anything I could check before ordering a new module?

Thanks in advance
hermanjirwin
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Re: Headlamp issue - help wanted

Post by hermanjirwin »

Just to update and close this one. Yes it was the body control module which for some reason was blowing the drivers door control module. Coding was fun as the BCM must have been on a car with different options. Two fog lights for example. This forum helped a lot to set everything right but to double check what I was doing I reinstalled the faulty one to note all of the settings. Unfortunately doing that blew the second drivers door module.