2020 Caddy 5 press launch and information

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: 2020 Caddy 5 press launch and information

Post by petrev »

:D
BIG Tyres 👍
Unky Waz
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Unky Waz »

So, If the MK5 is based on the same platform as the golf, does that mean I can slap in a R spec engine, interior and front end?
Also, does anyone know if you can delete the rear wiper (barn doors) and delete the side door, which would solve the problem of those ugly side rails?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Welcome to the forum Unky Waz
I'd highly doubt that the golf R spec engine will just slap in, same goes for interior and front end.
The previous generation (Caddy2k) was build on the same platform as the other VW models of the same size but not many parts were interchangeable, at least not a direct swap.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

Anything's possible with the right budget! Engine would go straight in, the issue Doc is alluding to is the wiring and any modules needed would not be there and thats where your money goes when doing the conversions properly.

When they say its based on the Golf what the mean is the chassis. Its modular and so they can use sub assemblies to create different chassis across the whole lineup - different wheelbase means they just move the sub assemblies further apart but the engines all bolt to the same structure. Body mounting points, floors and bodies are all different so the Golf interior would not bolt straight in and the front end wouldn't either.

I'm reliably informed by this forum that a sliding door delete is possible on a factory build, however, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of one and it would be interesting to hear whether a VW dealer would be up for trying to put that through on your build sheet! Plus its not an option on the configurator.

Rear wiper delete I believe is possible. In the configurator if you spec barn (or wing as they call them) doors it comes as standard without the wiper and you have to click a box to have the wiper added.
Unky Waz
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Unky Waz »

Thanks for the reply guys!
Just sold my LS3 Holden van and been running all over town trying to find a MK4 to play with. I want to bag it though, so I'll need to get the new one. Don't think I'll buy the 2021 model though, the new model WILL have some bugs to work out and VW doesn't have a good record on admitting to product faults. I don't want to go through the hassle that those people who bought DSG's went through in the early 2000's. Oh well, that gives me a couple of years to plan the build and wait for all the aftermarket goodies to become available, namely a new front bumper! :P
They make left and right hand drive versions and they make solid side panels (without a door) for both sides, so I can't see why you can't delete the side door?
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

What's the reasoning behind it having to be a new one so you can bag it?
Any age can be bagged.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Moj
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Moj »

Not a bad looking van

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Unky Waz
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Unky Waz »

I was under the impression that it's more straightforward bagging when you have coil springs, rather than leaf springs?
Last edited by Lister79 on Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

2020 Caddy 5 press launch and information

Post by the swan fiend »

There’s quite a few lads have fitted air ride to their vans. I think any conversion is going to be pricey if you want it doing properly. The intermotiv kit seems well regarded on here. What’s more, there are tried and tested kits available already. There is nothing for the new one yet as far as I’m aware, and probably won’t be for a while. If the ‘scene’ for the mk5 doesn’t take off, there may never be unless you go one off, and that will be expensive!
Check out @Barbel330, @dan@biali and @Lister79 build threads. These guys have done it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
LordW-K
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by LordW-K »

Front end conversion for the new caddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JimmyKombi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by JimmyKombi »

Well I sold my 2013 Kombi a few years back, I take delivery of my Mk5 on Tuesday so I thought I would sign back in and see what the buzz is on the new one... not much love for it here I see :D .. I know this is a Caddy 2k Forum but is there a thread on the forum for people who like/ have bought it who may be interested in a few mods down the line or am I alone ? :lol:

For what its worth, I think it is stunning, I loved my kombi but the very things that I didn't like about it seemed to have been adressed in this version, one mans bread I suppose :)
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

You’re not alone, I like it as well, just can’t afford a new one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

You could start a thread for yours and maybe convince a few people that it will grow on them, especially once they start to get modified. I'm afraid I will never be one of those people :lol: I hate the current German car design language across the board though as its aimed at the Asian market which prefers gaudy and overly fussy details, too much chrome, and huge front grills. But each to their own and I never would tell anyone they're wrong in liking something, we have to be different otherwise it would be boring!

I just noticed in the image I posted the other day that the check engine light is on! Is that because its brand new and needs a diagnostics scan as part of the pdi?

JimmyKombi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by JimmyKombi »

C Chis wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:43 am You’re not alone, I like it as well, just can’t afford a new one Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it's a dear doo, in fact I realised I could have bought a 6.1 Kombi for the same money but I dont really want to be driving round devon in one of those, they are literlly everywhere! :lol:
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

@JimmyKombi I look forward to seeing photos of your Caddy5.
I need to setup a dedicated section on here for them.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort