2020 Caddy 5 press launch and information

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Kreutz
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CNG (107bhp)

Re: 2020 Caddy 5 press launch and information

Post by Kreutz »

Jasons6930 wrote: The TGI version will not be available in the UK.
Right, will probably be a big seller in Sweden though, six times lower yearly tax and buyers get a 800 pound bonus from the government when buying eco friendly cars.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

RangerD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by RangerD »

Looks like a cross between a Transit Connect and one of those Cube things. It's lost its sleek, kind of (sorry girls) masculine good looks. And what's with all these weird looking tail lights these days? They get bigger and more ridiculous with every new car. Is it a competition? They're just lights... Mk4 tails look way better imo. I'm glad I have my mk3 and won't be longing for this atm.

I'm talking purely exterior visuals though. There are undeniably some amazing features and upgrades.

Thanks for the interesting insight chaps
alan ditcham
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by alan ditcham »

Ya Im not as impressed , some of the renderings are loads better but stiil dont like the long tail lights or the pippeled front end
living in Cape Town
Jasons6930
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Post by Jasons6930 »

janis
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by janis »

I think it looks a lot like berlingo from the side.
mikie711
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mikie711 »

Looks aside for a minute, looking at the photo's of the rear suspension it appears all they have done is change from leaf to coil springs. Still a solid rear axle so no independent rear suspension. Granted coils are more progressive than leafs but doubt it'll be night and day. Think they missed an opportunity to bring it bang up to date unless this is a top gap model until the new VW/Ford van comes out.
Viper Green Caddy Highline SWB 2.0TDI 150ps DSG
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

I suspect that’s to do with weight capacity - easier to fit a beam which has higher weight load and is simple to manufacture than multi link setup that would require quite a lot of chassis stiffening or heavier duty parts. At the heart of this it’s still [in VWs eyes] a work van so why spend a fortune developing a sporty chassis when it’s not a sports car.
Steo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Steo »

Hmm,

Anyone that buys one the best of luck with it and that's genuine.

For me its lost its heritage. It looks like a breeding exercise between a Renault Kangoo and a Citreon Belingo.

Nice stuff inside but the days of getting fixed on the side of the road are now well gone. I bet the RAC and AA are rubbing their hands. Maybe we will be able to buy a new Mark 4 in Mexico in the coming years with a 1.9TDI.... like what they did with the beetle.

Steo
mikie711
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mikie711 »

dan@biali wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:58 pm I suspect that’s to do with weight capacity - easier to fit a beam which has higher weight load and is simple to manufacture than multi link setup that would require quite a lot of chassis stiffening or heavier duty parts. At the heart of this it’s still [in VWs eyes] a work van so why spend a fortune developing a sporty chassis when it’s not a sports car.
While I agree it's certainly easier to stick with the beam from a chassis POV it has nothing to do with which has higher load. And it's not about being sporty, it's about chassis control over variable road surfaces. For a vehicle that is designed to be used all day every day ride comfort should be a major consideration but they have only gone half way IMHO. The new Fiat has independent rear suspension and carriers more weight.
Viper Green Caddy Highline SWB 2.0TDI 150ps DSG
Anton
Caddy Fan

Post by Anton »

Hmmmm. . . I'm not to sure on this 🤔
Filip Deleu
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Filip Deleu »

I can’t help it but I really don’t like the looks of it

It kind of lost every aspect of what Caddy stands for and what separates Caddy from all other vans.
NornIron
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by NornIron »

Having seen this, I've just placed an order for a Mk4 Highline... that replacement is hideous :shock:
Ich habe kein Geld!
Ripley55
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Ripley55 »

I'm not so sure now TBH
I absolutely hated it when I first saw it, but I don't know :?

I've been looking at a few MK5 videos on YouTube, and well.........I can see it growing on me in a way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VerSg8mQKYs

Not right now, not after paying possibly the neck end of £16k-£25k for a top specced one, but in a couple of years, and once a few Mods have been done on them, I think there may be more appeal ??

We've already seen super renditions with Artwork, and soon we'll probably see some sort of ABT type variants, and then make our minds up ?
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
Shine_mike
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Shine_mike »

Been looking at these over and over again. Still totally unsure. How I feel about the new golf too, but that is starting to grow on me now.
Kreutz
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CNG (107bhp)

Post by Kreutz »

From half of it looks great IMO, but it certainly lost it's Caddy heritage at the rear end, looks more like a Berlingo or Fiat Doplo. I'm still very much looking forward to getting one though, simply because it fits my needs at work much better than the current generation Caddy.

Oh and it's official now that VW will build the the next Ford Transit Connect at their Poznan plant. Will be interesting to see how much they'll change on the design.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk