2k paint help

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
caddychris2002
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Re: 2k paint help

Post by caddychris2002 »

Ahhh ok cool. The rust area to spray i can contain easily as it's on the piece of the wing that folds round into the arch.

Can the pdr guy get the 2 creases out.

Is adrenaline the same a krust?

I enjoyed the plastic welding harder than it look to make it smooth though

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Doc on Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
www.dav-tec.co.uk
www.facebook.com/davteceng
Autowatch Ghost Installer
Mods:
145bhp map : Audi Q5 Seats, Polo Wing Mirrors, Touran R-Line rear bumper, Mk8 Golf Gti Front bumper, Sprayed in Honey Orange. Touran rear seat conversion, Bentley alloys, Stance plus coilover kit, caddy alltrak arch and skirt kit,mk7 golf gti steering wheel, Ghost immobiliser, Discover Media headunit, Kenwood underseat sub
Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Barbel330 »

Yeah that’ll come out 100% if you have a decent guy doing it. Check out my mates work on Instagram @dentfx

If you look back on my build thread (and my Instagram) you’ll see that I painted my rear arch when my tyre rubbed the paint away. That’ll show you how I kept it to only the arch rather than painting the complete panel.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
caddychris2002
Hyper Poster

Post by caddychris2002 »

Thank god for that suppose couple hundred pulling it out is better than spraying it in. Eventually found the repair on your build thread it was a while back post 551 Oct 20 2018 for reference if anyone else wants to find it.

Looks like I'm buying rattle can tomorrow for the little bits. Reading your thread from the beginning again has just cost more money lol wiper bung, led licence bulbs and gloss black rear vw badge all on their way need extra paint to so i can colour code them.

On another note and sorry to be a pain. How would you tackle the side moulding whilst still on the van. Just mask off as normal? Ruff up etch primer, high build primer flat paint clear?

Last edited by Doc on Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
www.dav-tec.co.uk
Mods:
145bhp map : Audi Q5 Seats, Polo Wing Mirrors, Touran R-Line rear bumper, Mk8 Golf Gti Front bumper, Sprayed in Honey Orange. Touran rear seat conversion, Bentley alloys, Stance plus coilover kit, caddy alltrak arch and skirt kit,mk7 golf gti steering wheel, Ghost immobiliser, Discover Media headunit, Kenwood underseat sub
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

What’s the damage on the door moulding? Should be fine to mask the door and paint the moulding.
caddychris2002
Hyper Poster

Post by caddychris2002 »

Nothing just want to colour code them but not sprayed them before I've previously done panels wing mirror caps and bumpers

www.dav-tec.co.uk
Mods:
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

Ok, in that case you’re much better off removing them. If they’re standard caddy grey textured mouldings you’re going to have the same issues as I mentioned above. All of the texture will need sanding off which isn’t something you want to do on the van. You can pick up a set of Touran mouldings for not very much money. They’re smooth/painted from factory so will save you hours of sanding, plus cash in materials to prep the old ones. I’d grab a set, prep and paint them off the van, then remove yours and fit the new ones.
caddychris2002
Hyper Poster

Post by caddychris2002 »

Barbel330 wrote:Ok, in that case you’re much better off removing them. If they’re standard caddy grey textured mouldings you’re going to have the same issues as I mentioned above. All of the texture will need sanding off which isn’t something you want to do on the van. You can pick up a set of Touran mouldings for not very much money. They’re smooth/painted from factory so will save you hours of sanding, plus cash in materials to prep the old ones. I’d grab a set, prep and paint them off the van, then remove yours and fit the new ones.
Wicked mate thanks. Found out today the van must.of been resprayed at some point as when i went to the paint shack the y guy put his camera on the panels and it came back with Lotus B88 Gunmetal Grey. When we offered the vw natural grey metallic up you could see the shade difference good job he checked.

Whipped the toe cap mirror covers and the plastic wiper blank off going to give it a bash and see how it goes not expecting pro results but ive got the garage warm and 4 IR heaters on the go so hopefully it goes well.

Cheers for all the advise nice to find a guy in the trade who's willing to help

www.dav-tec.co.uk
Mods:
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

No worries mate, good luck.

That’s the thing with spectro’s, if it’s been painted before it’s unlikely that they’d have painted it anything other than natural grey but which of the many shades is anyone’s guess. If the computer says that a lotus colour is the closest match, then you’ve not really got much choice but to go for that. Worth noting though, spectro’s are not 100% accurate and often a trained human eye will be more accurate, especially in differing light sources such as direct sunlight, shade, fluorescent light etc.
caddychris2002
Hyper Poster

Post by caddychris2002 »

They're not fool proof then. It went ok with the 2k. I like how the clear coat flashes off fairly quick and leaves such a glossy finish.

Got a couple of little runs in the clear coat thanks to me getting over excited and giddy but for a first bash i don't think it's to shabby. Sand and buff the clear and should be ok.

In daylight it seemed to match but I'll no tomorrow when it's fittedImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

www.dav-tec.co.uk
Mods:
Mitchsmith99
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Mitchsmith99 »

I work as a a painter, if your looking to do the job yourself i would recommend some 2k direct gloss, as its alot easier to work with, stay away from aerosol
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

Direct gloss on metallic grey? :?
caddychris2002
Hyper Poster

Post by caddychris2002 »

another (probably) dumb question. I want the paint as good as it can be without being a pro job normally i would got from clear coat to buffing but I've seen a lot about wet sanding first.

What would anyone in the know recommend done a google search and that made confusion worse

www.dav-tec.co.uk
Mods:
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

It’s pretty straight forward and something I do to every single thing I paint. Spray water on panel, flat it’s down with 2000 grit wet and dry, polish it up to a high gloss with Koch H9 and a polishing machine.
caddychris2002
Hyper Poster

Post by caddychris2002 »

Cheers @Barbel330 possibly why my previous paint job have been acceptable but never quite had that sheen. Just finished the last wheel after it got damaged again by the Mrs. Then back to body work

www.dav-tec.co.uk
Mods: