New owner intro bls to asz conversion

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Danwhitworth
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

New owner intro bls to asz conversion

Post by Danwhitworth »

Hi all new member here my name is Dan and I’m a fabricator based in West Yorkshire Uk
I purchased my caddy as a spares or repairs lockdown project
It’s a 2008 tdi 1.9 bls (with bottom end knocking)
So I already had a 78k asz complete with injectors and turbo
I have removed the bls lump and box today and the asz is stripped down ready to change all the ancillaries over.
It’s first time I have done a job of this magnitude at home
I’m looking to run the full engine turbo and injectors from the pd130 but sticking with the 5 speed box got now due to funds and me having a 5 speed dmf clutch kit with 2k on it.
So the asz is having a new cambelt kit and nearly new clutch kit , new crank seal and the other parts swapped over from the bls.
I may need some advice later as I’m planning on upgrading the brakes too. I have got a mk4 golf pd downpipe which I can modify and I have somone who can help do my mapping.
Anyhow just a small introduction to myself and current project and advice or input is much appreciated thanks
goat_lyf
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: New owner intro bls to asz conversion

Post by goat_lyf »

Welcome mate!

Gonna be doing a pd swap at some point so take loads of photos

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Danwhitworth
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Danwhitworth »

So here’s the project it’s a clean caddy for 2008 170k 2 previous owners , I have a fair few pics to upload tbh might be better on a build thread tho. Today’s goal swap all ancillaries over from bls to asz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chelly
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Chelly »

Hi and welcome.

I have done this engine swap in the past and is a fantastic upgrade mate, I’m not sure why they didn’t do this from factory or stopped doing the asz engine as in my Opinion it’s one of the best engines vw have produced.
I would strongly recommend putting the 6speed box in though as that is what made the biggest difference to me.
If you need any advice then your in the right place :)
adrianmurtezaj
Caddy Fan

Post by adrianmurtezaj »

Hi, i'm going to do the same swap. What is needed to do the 6 speed conversion? :D
bigrick
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by bigrick »

Good Morning, I am also doing a conversion , only just started , who is helping you with your mapping because i have contacted several local boys who claim to do mapping and as soon as i tell them its a conversion they get all upset and confused and dont seem to be able to help.
shanky887614
Hyper Poster

Post by shanky887614 »

adrianmurtezaj wrote:Hi, i'm going to do the same swap. What is needed to do the 6 speed conversion? :D
bkd driveshafts, 6sp starter motor, connector for the starter trigger wire and the cable ends from the 6sp box

the clutch line can be bent to fit or you can buy a braided clutch line

Sent from my ASUS_Z01KDA using Tapatalk

Westcraigs
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Westcraigs »

Hi Guys,

I'm weighing up a BLS to ASZ swap at the moment and have read many posts and videos online to see what all the required mods are.

To those that have already done it, I have two questions I'd greatly appreciate some help with please:-

1) One video I watched on YouTube said that some ASZ engines (e.g. Golf Mk4) have an oil filter housing that protrudes much further than the ASZ engines on (e.g. Fabia and Alhambra) and therefore won't fit in a T4 and a Caddy without fouling the radiator etc, is this correct about fitting the protruding oil filter housing version to a Caddy?

2) Another website mentions that for the turbo, the stock BLS turbo is top mounted with a 'push' vacuum actuator where as the PD150 Turbo is bottom mounted with a 'pull' vacuum actuator so this upgrade is not a direct swap and the system will need to be bodged to suit, there is no nice way to do it. It didn't however mention anything about the vacuum actuator on the PD130 Turbo for the ASZ engine, is this an issue or is it essentially a direct swap in terms of the vacuum actuator?

Thanks in anticipation. 😊