Spare wheel carrier for 2019 maxi life

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Barry Peel
Caddy2k Groupie

Spare wheel carrier for 2019 maxi life

Post by Barry Peel »

Afternoon, I'm sure this will have been asked before but I tried a search and couldn't come up with an answer.

I have just bought a 2019 maxi life and noticed it doesn't have a spare wheel. The van is going to be a bike carrier so don't want one inside ideally.

There appears to be some brackets underneath and on EBay etc there seems to be an item people are selling. My question is - is this just a straight bolt on item or do I have to start drilling etc. as it seems to show on some older threads.

Thanks

Barry
Woj_88
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Spare wheel carrier for 2019 maxi life

Post by Woj_88 »

Do you have a eBay number Barry? I think it’s just a bar with a threaded nut and it’s loosened/tightened in the rear of the van and drops down. Definitely an idea to batter it with copper slip if refitting 😂 Mine ceased and bent it trying to take it off due to corrosion left it like that because I’ve more pressing issues with the van 🙃😂
Barry Peel
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Barry Peel »

This is one of the adverts

Original VW Caddy 3+4 Holder Bracket for Spare Wheel 2K0801903
eBay item number:113912711157

Thanks
Mickthebell
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Mickthebell »

This is my 2017 SWB looks like I just need the bracket. I’m sure I read on here that there is a heat shield on the exhaust to protect the tyre when it does dpf regen as the exhaust gets really hot. I bought a golf skinny spare which I have in the back that I’m hoping to modify the bracket to take. Image
Mickthebell
Caddy Fan

Post by Mickthebell »

Only loaded one picImage
Jeff007
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Jeff007 »

Hi there.

I’m a new caddy maxi life owner and discovered the same thing.

Can I ask how you got on as I’ll need to source a bracket, spare wheel and Jack too.

Thanks
Jeff.
Mickthebell
Caddy Fan

Post by Mickthebell »

Still on the todo list for me, I also carry a 12v compressor as back up
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster

Post by SnoWhite »

Been there myself and retrofitted the missing brackets, carrier and matching wheel/tyre on my 2012 Maxi Life 4 Motion.

At the time I started this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25125

Its a long time since I did this but the key point I discovered was to crawl underneath and work out what hardware is already installed. On my vehicle there was no carrier and no brackets at all below the floor except for the bracket stand off which would ensure a spare wheel was not placed close to the exhaust. So I simply got TPS to order the parts and then had the metal carrier frame welded and bolted in place (bolt and braces approach) although I think when anyone opts for a production line install they just used welding.

Have fun - It was a huge benefit to get rid of the spare from the boot area as carry a spare inside was always a pain when carrying my motorbikes.
jonski
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jonski »

I have a 2019 Caddy maxi life and mine came with spare wheel fitted underneath, I thought they all had this as standard.
Jeff007
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jeff007 »

Mine is a 4 motion, as I think Sno white's is. Maybe it's a 4motion thing that they are spareless.

In Australia, the distances, patchy 4G in bush and remoteness mean just relying the compressor and slime just doesn't cut it.
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+

Post by SIMONSNOT »

jonski wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:05 am I have a 2019 Caddy maxi life and mine came with spare wheel fitted underneath, I thought they all had this as standard.
Mine is a 2017 maxi life and this didn’t come with a spare wheel, jack or wheel brace.

I got this from a main dealer and when looking around it I noticed, although it had the carrier, it didn’t have a spare so I asked for one and they fitted a spare wheel. Later on I found this shouldn’t have come with one and had the compressor and wheel gunk as an alternative.