Towing

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
ganga1990
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Towing

Post by ganga1990 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:37 am

I have got a 07 plate caddy that has been remapped to produce 158 bhp, I have recently bought a caravan aswel I was just wondering if I would be able to tow with this van, the caravan weights roughly 1100-1300kg and from what I can see online I should be able to tow anything upto 1500kg aslong as it has a brake?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Ghost-rider
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Re: Towing

Post by Ghost-rider » Sun May 24, 2020 9:33 pm

anything over 750kg has to braked, so, thats what it means by 1500kg braked, as for towing with the caddy, firstly what i would do is do a tow match, you can do these online if its still about towsafe is a good one, you input the cars details along with your caravan details and it gives you all statistics and tells you, whether its safe or not, iv worked in the caravan industry for years now, and the simplest way to look at things is you dont want the tail to wag the dog, yoj want the dog to wag the tail, whst i mean by that is, you can be within your towing limits on your vehicle with whatever your towing, but that doesnt mean its safe, your caddy has a towing capacity of 1500kg, but as a small car derived van there is just no weight in it, so the way round this would be to load your heavy items, awning, aqua rolls, deck chairs etc etc etc into the van giving it a bit more weight on the road, so when the caravan kicks in wind etc, its not gonna drag the back of the caddy across the road if that makes sense

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Ghost-rider
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Ghost-rider » Sun May 24, 2020 9:41 pm

the other thing aswell as a side note, is the change in licensing after 1997, if you passed your driving test after 1997, you can only tow a combined set up weight of 3.5tonne(thats car and caravan together), if you want to tow bigger weights you need to take an extra course to add the category onto your licencse, im unsure as to newer drivers these days but something tells me passing a test now adays doesnt give you any towing rights, but i could be wrong about that

just thought id mention this as some people are un aware

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

TobyMTDI
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by TobyMTDI » Sun May 24, 2020 11:01 pm

In terms of power, I had an Octavia a couple of years ago with the 1.9 lump in it that had been remapped, it towed surprisingly well. Had it potentially a tad over it's towing limit of 1400kg and it maintained 50mph up some seriously steep Welsh hills without any issues whatsoever.

To elaborate on what Ghost says about license limits, it's 3.5t combined MAM (regardless of how heavy your van or trailer actually are). For my Maxi I think it's just under 2.3.t gross weight, so that means the trailer can't have a MAM of anymore than 1.2t. MAM might be more commonly seen as MTPLM. Most single axle caravans are around that number, but worth checking.

Of course if you got your license before 1997 or have B+E, you don't need to worry about any of this!