My Caddy Project

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Finley2000
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

My Caddy Project

Post by Finley2000 »

Hi all,
This has been my project over the last few months. Bought as a non runner will a nice variety of issues that needed sorting.
First of all I completely removed all the ply lining, plastic trim and sound proofing from the interior as there was just so much mould growing inside. Dried it out over a few days to remove the years of water that had built up in the sound proofing material.
Work then started on the exterior, some nice rusty steel wheels and a nice graze down the sliding door and rear 1/4 had to be sorted out. Gave it all a good polish and is looking good as new! Few other spots of rust need sorting but nothing too major.
Then it was on to the engine.
The van would take 20-30 turns to finally get going, and when it did it was super rough and would not budge unless you gave it 3000rpm’s+.
The issue was narrowed down very quickly to two shattered collets inside the injector springs Image. This then involved me inspecting all the crank & cam shaft just to make sure nothing had been seriously damaged, and then removing the sump to fish out the missing pieces. New injectors in with new seals and stretch bolts just to make sure.

Now it’s all back together, and it still has its long crank issue but only a rough idle now, resting your foot on the accelerator even just slightly balances out the engine nicely.
I’m stumped as to how to fix this issue as I don’t own the equipment to analyse engine values. Any ideas where I could start next?
Van has plenty of power now so I might just take it over to a garage to have it scanned properly.

In the meantime I’ve just been re-trimming a few pieces with carbon effect vinyl to break up the smooth plastic a little, and also adding additional sound proofing & new ply to the rear!
(Sorry for the extortionate amount of photos)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk