Door wind noise

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
RivalDealer2020
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Door wind noise

Post by RivalDealer2020 »

Has anyone else has this problem and if so do you have any advice on how to solve it?

I have wind noise around the top door seal on my 65 plate ex bg maxi on both passenger but mainly drivers door

I have tried adjusting the hinge latch on both sides to make it pull in tighter when closed.

This did help but created another problem of the door sitting too far in and exposing my sliding doors edge to the elements so then I had to adjust the sliding door latches to pull them in which in turn made them difficult to use.

I have now slackened all the latches back off all round to their originalish positions and trying to think of another way.

I was told about a trick you can do with bending the door top slightly back in.

I did have a go of that by following a YouTube video but can’t say it’s made much of a difference, maybe I wasn’t aggressive enough with it

Is there any adjust on the door hinges I can make?

To answer the obvious question The door seals look perfectly fine, I think it has just been caused by the use of the door by the bg “engineer” visiting the various Greggs outlets on his/her shift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Re: Door wind noise

Post by the swan fiend »

The standard wing mirrors are known to whistle a bit, especially the drivers side. Have you ruled that out? Easy way to check is to fold the mirror in briefly as you’re driving. Hope you get sorted fella.

Rescue me from the swans in me
RivalDealer2020
Caddy2k Groupie

I will give it a go!

Thanks for your suggestion

The noise can get a bit annoying on a long journey especially when it’s blowing a hoolie like it is currently

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Yeah, I agree. I hate rattles, wind noise and the like. I used to have an Audi A8 and when I swapped to the van it was like I’d just stepped into hell!!
With soundproofing, quiet tyres and that. It’s bearable now.

RivalDealer2020
Caddy2k Groupie

Haha!

We definitely share that disposition, that stuff drives me up the wall too.

Before the caddy I had a clk which, like your A8, a little more on the quiet side.

Other than the “refinement” the caddy beats the car on pretty much everything else...it Even handles better!

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Door wind noise

Post by C Chis »

Just a thought...

Have you checked that the tapered nuts on the top hinges are tight? I could get my fingers through the seal at the top of the shut drivers door, thought it was the seal, turned out the top tapered nut was missing allowing the door to open out at the top. Replaced the nut, tightened it up and no more wind noise from the door, result!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

If keys are locked in the car, the AA etc use a bag to pull the top of the door out to get a rod in, then when opened they put a knee against the top inside of the door and pull the top of the door towards them to straighten it again. Very scary to watch but it worked.
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

The caddy’s don’t handle too bad actually, for a van anyway. Mines on the ST kit and it’s decent!

@Papa Bear, they use similar techniques in car factories to line up doors, bonnets and bootlids etc. Whacking them with soft hammers, twisting, lifting. You name it!
It was my job for a while, I work in a car factory.

Mickthebell
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Mickthebell »

Place a strip of paper in between the door and top door seal and close the door if it moves there's yer problem. I had this on my old caddy and my friend who does body work "adjusted" the top of the frame with the door open, window down knee on top of the door card and a few tugs. It took a few goes as papa bear said it looks a bit brutal but I suppose it one of things if you do it all the time it's the norm. VW wanted £70 to do it
Dala1993
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Dala1993 »

Hello im new hope l can borrow this thread real quick, l got the problem with the wing mirror any ide how to fix it?
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

Get your post count up and request access to the forum in the appropriate post and you will be able to access the great how to. Worked for me
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
sheryllee
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by sheryllee »

Door wind noise is really annoying, also looking for the same issue, need help
Steo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Steo »

Hello,

The new Volvo Trucks suffered with this and they put an additional piece of rubber over the existing strips and this cured the problem.

Mine at the minute isn't doing it but possible try plain old draught excluder - if this works go from there - as in you now can pin point the area that needs attention. Bending the door is okay too but the membrane sealing the door at the top is the weak point - only my opinion.

Steo
leesrs240
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by leesrs240 »

I did the old window down knee against the door on inside and gently persuaded the top part of the door :lol: :lol:

Been spot on ever since I gave it a talking to :D
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

Well done, nice knee work
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS