Engine

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Fabi
Caddy2k Groupie

Engine

Post by Fabi »

which engine is best for caddy?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Engine

Post by Doc »

Best for what?
Power, economy, reliability, ease of service??

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
veedubgub
100BHP+

Post by veedubgub »

Im looking for my first caddy and had the same question as the op...

More specifically i would like to know which engines are the best for reliability and easy of service.

reliability
Ive read a fair bit about things like injector failure on some models which seems to be quite common which is a bit off putting so wanted to find out how common a problem this is and which engines does it affect the most across the range?
anything else i should be aware of when looking at vehicles around the 100k miles mark

service
In terms of ease of service, I do most of my own servicing myself on vehicles so it would be good to know how 'user friendly' these are in terms of being able to carry out the majority of maintenance tasks.
Dom b 1
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Dom b 1 »

The 1.6tdi suffers with injector failure. Siemens injectors seem to be no where near as good as Bosch systems. I've changed loads when you change them it's best too do them in pairs because one clamp holds 2 injectors and when you disturb them they only last a couple of months. And it's a must to change the bolt and torque correctly I've been behind 2 garages that have snapped the bolts and I've had to remove rocket cover and fit an insert into the cylinder head to take a new bolt.
Steo
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Steo »

Hi Fabi,

I have am familiar with all engine type Caddys through ownership and work and if it s reliability I would stick with the 1.9 however that all depends on how well it was minded.
I am a fan of the 1.6 but it does have issues but a lot of which were caused by VW and their campaign. Some VW dealers here are standing by them others are not.
The injector issue is like a cancer with the 1.6. At the time the injectors and this applies to a lot of other car manufacturers used Siemens who had this great idea to get them mass produced in another country. So the quality plus the percentage of water in our diesel and the campaign killed off any chance the 1.6 had. The injectors are fiddly to do but as I said they get a bit too much put down. And lets not forget when the 1.9tdi came out first it had a lot of issues too.
2 Litre Caddys are having huge problems with their Ad Blue system and DPF's here.
Me personally - I love the 1.6 for its refinement and power curve.
Easy to service as all Caddys are.
All Caddy engines are good on fuel under 60mph - push above and this drops.
Only my opinion..
Steo