Caddy seats to help with a bad back?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
fc_marine
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Caddy seats to help with a bad back?

Post by fc_marine »

Hi.

Currently in bed with a bad back - keep getting spasms and some of the worst pain I've ever had if I even try to move my legs an inch and feeling bit fed up.. It went while kneeling doing a straightforward job yesterday and can't pinpoint anything I've done to trigger it. Did have similar 4 years ago triggered by putting my boots on. Reasonably fit and healthy otherwise..

I do 25-30k miles/year in my 2011 caddy and am thinking the standard seats may have contributed.

I've seen A1 seats which look like they have a lumber knob (ebay item 352984851838) - are these much better than the ones I have? See that you don't need the touran bases to fit too.. Also seen passat have ergo comfort ones like this ebay 193350075695. As far as i can tell hey seem to all be electric though so imagine there's some looms and alot of work needed to get them working.

Wonder if anyones gone down the route of swapping seats out to help with a bad back and what the best options are? I fitted audi ttrs seats on touran bases to my previous caddy 5/6 years ago and didn't particularly like the huge bolsters for getting in and out. Not worried about the looks it's purely for back health reasons.

Wonder if anyone has any insight/experience/suggestions?

Cheers, Ed
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Caddy seats to help with a bad back?

Post by Papa Bear »

Firstly, I sympathise with you, back pain is absolutely awful!
Mine went from getting out of bed in 2008.
If it wasn’t for lockdown I would strongly suggest getting an osteopath to look at you.

I find the standard caddy maxi life seats are perfect for my back but it depends on height and build mostly.
I’d love to change my seats to something more stylish, electric and heated but worried they won’t suit me as well as the standard ones.
Try a small cushion in your lumbar area to see if that makes it more comfortable in there.
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

Also I know exactly how you feel, my Audi A3 sline was terrible for it, made it 10x worse, to be fair my MK4 caddy ones are better.... surprisingly. Not great, but better than the Audi

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

Last edited by gazza31112 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cabbs
Hyper Poster

Post by Cabbs »

I have the occasional back issue which isn’t frequent but when it goes it goes. Lol. And the twinging also
Started driving my van. Just niggley little twinges while driving and turning myself. I’ve fitted Mk7.5 Golf R seats. (GTD seats are the same shape) So much more comfy and hold you in place. They also have the lumbar support should it be needed and hasn’t cost me a great deal to retro-fit the heated part of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ghost-rider
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Ghost-rider »

another thumbs up for lumber support, iv just fitted mk7 gti seats, hands down its the best mod iv done, did a 120 mile non stop last saturday, not so much as a twinge, with the caddy seats i used to find i would start with a twinge and then no matter what i did to try and re position myself in the chair, i couldnt shift it, so like i say, best mod so far

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

Had a bad back for many years - Finally had to have a discectomy.
Still get a few twinges, but not the excruciating pain of yester year.

Seat Ibiza FR seats, if you are not a wide person, not to aggressive a bucket, and nicely supportive - Direct fit on 2K bases.

Golf Mk6 GT slightly wider fit, lumbar support and heated - direct fit to Touran bases or Mk4 Life / Comfort seat option.
https://webimg.secondhandapp.com/w-i-mg ... 4c014382c7
Last edited by petrev on Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi mate, you have my sympathies with your bad back, I have trouble sometimes and it really isn’t nice.
I changed my seats to Audi A3 ones (from about a 2010 model I think) and I do find them much more comfortable. However comfort is subjective so it’s a hard one to gauge. As others have said, something with lumbar support may help you.
If you go down the electric adjustment route, forum members Tommyzooom or Stan-the-man can make you OEM quality looms up for whatever you buy.
Good luck mate. I hope you’re back on your feet soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Fnesken
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Fnesken »

Im putting in A4 B8 seats. Love the comfort of those.