Rear Knocking

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
DeanWhit
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Rear Knocking

Post by DeanWhit »

Update..

Took the van out this morning and its got worse, genuinely doesn't sound or feel right so won't be driving it until I've had it back at the garage. Something is definitely not right. It didn't do it before on the old shocks and it already had the flip kit on and I don't recall it doing it before I had the centralising plates fitted 3 weeks ago, so it'll be going back.
James01
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by James01 »

Could be a weak or poor shock? Might be worth taking off and checking how they move and maybe swap them side to side see if problem moves?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Cabbs
Hyper Poster

Post by Cabbs »

Funny enough I had the same problem and it only did it rear passenger side. I used the original bolts to bolt the shortened shocks back on and was advise the bolts were slightly smaller on the shaft hence I called Gaz who supplied my shocks and they sent me new bolts.

Never heard a knock since.

Did did end up cutting another notch off my bump stops too as I only had 2 inch clearance. I guess it depends if your carrying weight as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Post by DeanWhit »

Ran into a guy with a modified Caddy at the shop who told me he had the same issue and it turned out to be the suspension Bush. Going to get it checked tomorrow.
DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Post by DeanWhit »

SORTED!!

Turns out there was too much negative camber and it was putting stress/pressure on the driveshaft. Had the camber corrected and it's solved the knocking.
thecolourpurple
Hyper Poster

Post by thecolourpurple »

Good result mate. I'm going to get mine checked out for sure now. I know my front 'toe in' needs sorting so I'll get the rears looked at same time.
2014 CAYD 1.6tdi 150bhp, Darkside straight pipe, EGR & DPF delete, Custom cold intake with K&N 571s, 19" wheels, Pioneer/Kenwood & Vibe audio.
Danwatts18
100BHP+

Post by Danwatts18 »

Confused.... so a rear knock is to do with a driveshaft...

Is your caddy rear wheel drive :?:
DWAUTOMOTIVE
Vehicle Tracking ~ Security ~ Modifications ~ Dash Cams ~ Wiring
Autowatch Ghost MetaTrak ScorpionTrack SmarTrack AirliftPerformance Intermotiv Rotiform Wheels
DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Post by DeanWhit »

Hahaha no, it was coming from the passenger front. When the guy took it out he looked at me as if I'd just landed on earth and my ears need testing. Could have sworn it was coming from the rear
thecolourpurple
Hyper Poster

@Danwatts18 . Good call

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

2014 CAYD 1.6tdi 150bhp, Darkside straight pipe, EGR & DPF delete, Custom cold intake with K&N 571s, 19" wheels, Pioneer/Kenwood & Vibe audio.
thecolourpurple
Hyper Poster

I'm pretty sure mine is the rear knocking, however

DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Post by DeanWhit »

I was convinced it was rear knocking but no.. Ha.
Much more pleasant to drive now as well.
thecolourpurple
Hyper Poster

I've just booked mine in on Sunday.

SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

When it comes to locating sounds it is really helpful to get help from a passenger who can move around inside whilst the vehicle is driven.

Alternatively if you have a smart phone it may also help locate where a noise is coming from. Find an app which can record/playback audio. Set it to record and then drive around a short circuit where you normally hear the offending noise. At the end of each circuit relocate the phone to another of the 4 corners then stop and listen to the playback. With luck it should confirm where the noise really is. Sadly vans are not designed for great accoustics.

SnoWhite