Lucky to be alive!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
hef355
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Lucky to be alive!

Post by hef355 »

So, today around lunch time, on a beautiful summers day with light breeze, I was unloading my van outside my workshop today and this happened!

I was just getting out of my van and at the door one leg in and one leg out and a live power cable just dropped from the sky for no apparent reason at all. Without exaggeration it flew past my nose around. 18” away and settled on my wing, its still there now 4 hours later.

I’m really shaken up as its sunk in how close I came to be fried!

The first responder Scottish power guy was with me in 10 mins as he lives in the village and said In his 41 years in the job he hasn’t seen such a close shave!

What’s worse is that only 7 weeks ago all 5 poles and cables on my land were replaced by Scottish power.

What angers me the most is the first responder telling me following his initial assessment that the cable had been crimped too tightly in his opinion and burnt off the poles’s terminal (see red arrow).

This could’ve wiped me out but more importantly could have wiped my grandchild, wife or children out! Yes the van is damaged but this could have been a real tragedy today seemingly due to someones incompetence!

Any forum members who can advise or guide me on what my rights in this instance guys??

Zoom in to see cable, came off where red arrow is and left hanging in my garden (green arrows)

Thanks

HefImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by hef355 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Re: Lucky to be alive!

Post by gazza31112 »

Shit mate that is too close for comfort. Glad your ok. Does make you think though!!

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Wow, that really is a close call.
It's something that really grinds my gears, not only people who cannot do their job properly but those who let them away with it.
I see it day in, day out.
Hope you are OK buddy, the caddy is repairable and if nothing else it's a push towards fitting wings.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

This is shocking (literally)
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Stedlocks »

Shite!
Glad you're safe mate.....! Thats probably 11000 volts at that point.
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster

Post by Beaker2135 »

Glad you’re OK mate. The van will mend the main thing is no one is hurt thank goodness
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

Wow! This is insane. Glad all ok and in a way lucky it was you that it happened to as you were perhaps shielded by the Caddy. At least you don’t need to buy a lottery ticket as you know you’ve used up all your luck for a bit!!

As for compensation I doubt you’d get much as there were no injuries. You could fight them for post traumatic stress but I think they are too big a company to go up against. Maybe worth a try as it might then filter down to the incompetent muppet who did the install but in this day and age it seems this sort of thing goes unpunished.

Hard not to but try not to dwell on it too much, you’ll end up anxious every time you step out of the house! Look at the positives, you’re ok first and foremost, your family is as well and the caddy wasn’t burnt to a crisp.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

I’m so glad you’re ok mate. That was so close as Doc said.

Rescue me from the swans in me
Craig Cheatham
200BHP+

Post by Craig Cheatham »

Glad to hear your all safe Hef, a bit too close for comfort!
Now remapped to 145 BHP
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

Glad you are ok! Way too close!
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

Post it on twitter tagging in the electric company. The people who care about publicity will see it and they are more likely to reply.
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

That's a good idea

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

Winst
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Winst »

Hell fire that’s a bit close....., glad no one got hurt Hef,
wonder if there’s any special requirements for connecting cables near residential areas......I take it they have carried out inspections of the other cables on that post? and what are they putting in place to prevent this from reoccurring would probably be my first questions.....at least you and the family are ok mate, and the van didn’t get fried

2011 2.0tdi Full 2018 front and rear ends fitted, airlift 3P suspension, 20" alloys, modified Porsche calipers front and rear with R8 handbrake caliper, Audi RS4 wingbacks, covered in nappa leather and alcantara, Touran dash, door cards, centre console all trimmed in leather and alcantara, MFSW, 3D cluster, Rockford fosgate and focal sounds with MIB2, bi xenons, full alltrack kit fitted, etc etc:D
Instagram @2kwayne
hef355
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Lucky to be alive!

Post by hef355 »

Thank you all for your kind replies and well wishes, really is appreciated! This has really shook me to be honest guys and really made me realise the dangers we live with above our heads ... especially at the hands of incompetent linesmen who have clearly got this so wrong!

I’m not after any compensation from these idiots other than to make good my van BUT ... about 6 years ago i was offered 15k to sign an easement agreement to allow unlimited access to service the equipment on my land, I refused as this then eliminates the owners rights to develop (should i ever want to) the land. Thank God i didn’t accept as i’ll now be telling them to remove them ALL and either reroute them or place them underground! I’ll give them 28 days to do so or i’ll be mixing some 2 stroke for my chainsaw and i’ll move out to another place till they sort it!

Shortly after i wrote this message yesterday I was visited by a senior rep from Scottish power who unwisely made a joke of the whole ordeal ... hmmm I don’t think he’ll be making another joke any time soon lads that’s for sure!

Thanks again chaps and sorry for the late reply but this comedian’s comments put me in a rather unpleasant mood last night ... and I doubt he was in any better mood on his sharp exit from my place

Keep you posted my friends, thanks and have a great weekend

Hef

Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

Please tell me your shovels went round the pricks neck!

Senior incompetent monkey....