British gas advice

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Steve890
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

British gas advice

Post by Steve890 »

After some advice from anyone with an ex BG van. I've finally got a day off and doing some bits on the van. I've taken the bulkhead out and there's a speaker attached. I've traced it back to under the cubby hole in front of gear leaver and it's connected to what appears to be a hands free unit.

Does the Bluetooth system work? I have no options on my radio to connect or anything and I can't find it from my phone. There's also 2 wires nearby that have been cut but I can't find the other end.

I'm not fussed if it doesn't work as I'll be fitting a head unit with Bluetooth anyway.

Any advice welcome.
Steve890
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: British gas advice

Post by Steve890 »

Further digging show the cut wires come from the hands free module so I'm happy it will never work again. Now I just need to un install it.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

British gas advice

Post by the swan fiend »

You’ll probably find lots of cut wires when you start digging some more mate, I did in mine.
The roof ariels, laptop charging port, and a few other bits that I’ve forgotten about I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Steve890
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Steve890 »

Yeah, I think I was being lazy and asking on here instead of just finding out for myself!

Anyway.. 3 hours later and I've got as much of the redundant cut stuff out that I can find.

For my first day doing bits to the van, have to say.. It seems a breeze to work on. Everything is simple, no hidden screws or tricky clips, it just makes sense!

Also.. Anyone got any recommendations for what to bung the aerial holes with? Left them in with cut wires for now till I find something.
P11ORJ
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by P11ORJ »

I had some rubber grommets that i fitted (donut type) then used a stainless dome head bolt and flange nut to squish the rubber, has kept the water out for over a year now mate
Daved-and-Confused
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Daved-and-Confused »

Another piece of advice I’d like to offer is that the mileage on some vans may not be indicative of the engine running.
I have a 61 plate van that I bought at 29000 miles. Within a couple of months I had a leaking water pump. Now this may have just been a water pump issue in general but it may have been influenced by the amount of running the engine had done not recorded ie idling.
Some engines may have done significantly more running than their mileage would suggest due to the fact that gas engineers spend a good portion of their time sitting in their vans with the engine idling.
I think this issue will have been resolved by the fitment of a night heater in their vans reducing idling time (potentially.)
I ended up changing the water pump and fitting a new timing belt kit so I knew what condition everything was in.
I would suggest that you or your usual garage have a check of your timing belt and pump so you don’t get caught out assuming all is good based on mileage.
Ex BG 2011 1.6 tdi - colour coded front and rear bumpers, mirror covers. Side windows and front window wind deflectors. Scirocco 18” Interlagos alloys. Spax RSX coilovers, Gaz rears. Touran rear seats with integrated child seats and head protection headrests. Sound deadening/ insulation with Caddy Life headlining, full interior plastics, custom made boot box,bulkhead with load through.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Definitely worth changing the timing belt on an ex gas van as BG don’t bother doing them. A bloke who used to be a fleet mechanic for them told me that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me