Firming up maxi life ride? Is it possible?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Ste_J
100BHP+

Firming up maxi life ride? Is it possible?

Post by Ste_J »

Ok so I openly admit that I know bugger all about suspension but I do know that my maxi life bounces like a trampoline

So I’ve been looking around and debating lowering. Have no intention of slamming the thing to the ground due to it being a daily that gets driven down all types of roads and tracks
Also constantly have a large dog cage in the back and most times more than 2 people

Spoke to the dealers when I bought the van about using the VW “lowering” option which lowers by 30mm. Since then I’ve not had anything from them so I’m guessing it’s not happening

Tried a local custom van place and just been advised that lowering could lead to wheels rubbing the arches and in their option not worth the hassle.

So is there a way of not lowering but firming the ride instead? Keeping in mind it’s a maxi life with double springs. Not firm to the point of needing a new back but firm to cut out some of the trampoline bounce

Could really do with some knowledgeable advice please.

Thanks in advance
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: Firming up maxi life ride? Is it possible?

Post by Giddy »

What do you mean when you say 'bounces like a trampoline'? No dampening in the rear, almost like uncontrolled oscillation?
How old is the van and how the rear shocks doing? Maybe they simply worn out and just need replacing
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Ste_J
100BHP+

Post by Ste_J »

It’s a Maxi life which I believe has “comfort” suspension
Coming from a 3 series m sport tourer the ride is bouncy or soft. Wouldn’t go as far to say it rolls but it’s not far off that feeling

2019 plate. I’m pretty sure it’s all as it should be having just come from dealer with their inspections

If it wasn’t so soft then it would be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SunEye
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by SunEye »

Some people find that the heavy duty leaf springs as fitted to Maxi’s that permanently carry some weight (e.g. ex Sky or ex British Gas) are less bouncy. PR Code: 2MK - Reinforced rear suspension. The part number is 2K3511151T. However the resulting rear ride height is high (mine has a gap of 140mm between rear tyre and wheel arch) so I would advise an axle flip to lower the rear a bit. If you combine that with better rear shock absorbers it should reduce the rear bounce. However don’t expect your Caddy to handle like your 3 series m sport tourer. The rear suspension of the Caddy is rather agricultural in design compared to your BMW, after all there is a considerable price difference between the two vehicles.
Ste_J
100BHP+

Post by Ste_J »

In some ways I’m glad it doesn’t handle like the 3 series
Sport mode in wet weather for example

Thanks for the advice. I reached out to a custom van dealer last night and they came back with a response of nothing can be done. Not just for firming but for lowering as well

Subsequently I’m trying somebody else now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bountybob
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Bountybob »

Eyup, I've had my maxi life for over a year now, the first thing I noticed is it rolls about a bit, first thing I checked was tyre pressures, all good, but then noticed the tyres were rated 91 instead of 94! Not a lot of difference but still wrong and illegal. My solution was to fit some et 41 17" steel wheels with 205/55/17 95 tyres. Yes I could of put 18,19 s on but didn't want alloys! With the combination of a wider track,proper tyres and slightly lower profile I have found the ride to be much improved,with less wallowing! It's not gocart handling but I wasn't after that. It's comfy and safe!
:shock: Livin the maxi life!
4Th3Fox
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 4Th3Fox »

I’ve ordered a set of these leaf springs - when carrying weight with an axle flip (even set on the highest setting) the van would sink really really low and bottom out constantly - hoping these will solve it
Last edited by Lister79 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed.
All the gear no idea 8)
4Th3Fox
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 4Th3Fox »

Fitted the new leafs and it makes a huge difference. Doesnt bottom out and it a lot firmer. Had to drill them though as the dowel was on the wrong side.....
All the gear no idea 8)