Cables into doors

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Cables into doors

Post by the swan fiend »

One of the things that annoy me about the internet is people who proclaim to be showing people who aren’t sure (like me) the ‘right’ way to do stuff only for it to be a bodge, thus enabling the spread of poor information.
Thank god that doesn’t happen here, and it’s great to know that if someone does inadvertently give bad advice, it’s a friendly enough place that they can be corrected with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Post by NZDubNurd »

All he really needs to do it properly, is 50 cents of terminals (OK, you buy them in bulk for $5, but you have them for other things then).

Then you CAN remove the plugs properly when required.

It also means you can pull the loom back into the door, and have WAY more space to fit the wires into the boot, and the terminal into the connector.

For us, VW use plenty of the same terminals through their cars, and most (all?) are off the shelf at RS or Farnell etc.

For all the wiring for my Touran R32 conversion, I think I only had to buy about 10 different types/sizes to do everything... and that was a LOT of reconfiguring and loom work. I still have spares for adding extra fuses to feed extra stuff too.

I wonder if he even uses proper insulation tape over the joins, after he twists the wires together with his fingers :lol:
Caddy-Dan
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy-Dan »

I’m sure there are a few spare terminal locations in the door connector, if you remove both parts you could carefully drill out the hole if there’s space to accept larger cable to go through. Might be a pain if the doors ever have to come off as the connector will still be joined by the speaker cable running through it.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I think that's what we are getting at as it's a bodge, there is ample rooms and terminals available to add the correct pin and receptacle into the plug and socket to make the job as factory specification as possible without messing anything up or preventing future maintenance work.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Andrejm
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Andrejm »

Yes , better to add male and female joins in door loom,and 2.5mm wires are alredy on that connnector and will fit good in empty spaces, oem is always nicer.