Reversing Camera

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
themightynewt

Reversing Camera

Post by themightynewt »

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum and recently just purchased my first VW Caddy. I love it! And this forum is great for ideas and support.
I wanted to add a small reversing camera to the rear. I’ve heard you can connect them to the vw media system so when you put it into reverse it displays the cameras image.

I wondered if anyone can recommend which camera to go for?

Or how hard it is to install?

Any support will be greatly appreciated :-)
Djcurtis1
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Reversing Camera

Post by Djcurtis1 »

Hey I’ve got a kenwood radio 7” screen and hooked up a reversing camera I bought from eBay fairly simple to connect up mate any problems give me a message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishynos72
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by fishynos72 »

Could we have some more details please, year/style of caddy as well as what headunit/radio is currently fitted.

That, and possibly some more specific information will help us narrow down the best path for you to go about it
How many is too many Volkswagens?
themightynewt

Post by themightynewt »

Thanks for your replies and messages guys :-)

The van is a 2019 Caddy, Highline Version.
It came with the The Discover Media satellite navigation Radio. Has two SD Card Slots and a slightly bigger screen then the entry radio.

I’ve seen some small reversing cameras that fit on the rear doors, just next the handle / latch that allows you to open the back door.

I was wondering if there is a particular camera that is good to buy and will work with the radio unit I’ve already got in the van? :-)
FishermansFriend
Hyper Poster

Post by FishermansFriend »

Hi, since you have the Discover Media head unit you wont be able to just buy a camera and hook it up to the head unit, unfortunately. I've been looking into this also and from what I can make out you would also need a Reverse Camera Input Interface and a Video Interface, these 2 items are around €300.00. You could sell you Discover Media head unit and buy an after market one which you could plug a camera straight in and it would work, and you'd probably have money left over from the sale of the Discover Media unit. Personally I am keeping the Discover Media unit as they are pretty reliable.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

There is no need for a camera interface module on a discover media so long as you buy the correct camera.
I've got a £15 eBay camera working with mine.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Ste_J
100BHP+

Post by Ste_J »

You might also have to code it in once fitted

I’m having a camera fitted next week although the guys fitting it couldn’t do the coding.
I treated myself to a OBDEleven and have found the relevant code for enabling the camera
boostedgp
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by boostedgp »

That’s for this info. Good the know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FishermansFriend
Hyper Poster

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the info. So all that would be needed to get the reverse camera to work with the Discover Media unit would be a reverse camera input interface harness and the camera? If so I might move this up the list a bit, I was getting quotes of over €600 for a reversing camera but it now seems it wont cost anywhere near that.
Clays4
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CNG (107bhp)

Post by Clays4 »

Hi does anyone know which reversing camera works with the discover media unit
My van is 2016 highline cr2.0 tdi
Davi926
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Davi926 »

The reversing camera that i bought was one that the number plate sits in so all i did then was pass the wires up through the number plate light gromet
edie209
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by edie209 »

Hi I am new to the Forum and new to Caddys but not VW.

#Doc you mention a camera from Ebay do you have more details on the camera ? maybe a link? I have VCDS so I am able to code if i need to.
mijkie
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Post by mijkie »

Doc wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:59 pm There is no need for a camera interface module on a discover media so long as you buy the correct camera.
I've got a £15 eBay camera working with mine.
and what is the right camera ?
FishermansFriend
Hyper Poster

To get a reverse camera working with the MIB head units you will need:

An adapter like this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

A camera like this one maybe? There are other designs available also.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170-Degree-C ... 0005.m1851

It then needs to be wired, ground wire to earth point at wheel arch, power to the fuse box, yellow plug into the adapter which goes into the back of the MIB unit pins 6 and 12. It then needs to be coded to reverse camera low, mine needed a few other changes to get it working like disabling PDC sensors which were enabled.
BritishGasBlue
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by BritishGasBlue »

I'm looking at one for an Android unit. How tricky will the install be?