Front tyres keep going bald on the inner edge

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Dale191270
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Front tyres keep going bald on the inner edge

Post by Dale191270 »

I am having trouble with the inner edge of my front tyres going bald. When I took it for MOT the tester said I need the bushes done on lower arms. I have had the complete bottom arms replaced with new bushes & I still get the tyres wearing on inner edge. The van dose not pull so tracking must be OK and breaks in a straight line. I have got a slight knocking from a drop link but that shouldn't cause it. Any suggestions appreciated.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Front tyres keep going bald on the inner edge

Post by Doc »

Hi, welcome to the forum
Have you had a wheel alignment?
Tyre wear on the inner edge is usually caused by excessive toe out, this can be due to worn bushes and is exaggerated by lowering if the track rod ends have not been adjusted.
Many try to blame this type of wear on camber but this is not the case and in standard for is not even adjustable on a caddy.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Dale191270
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Dale191270 »

Thanks for adding me.

I have not had it lowered, I have changed the lower arms and bushes as advised at the MOT, The tracking seems to be OK. I thought it might be the 19" wheels causing it.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Spend the money of having the alignment checked and adjusted, "seems ok" to your eye might be 3° of toe out when you want close to zero or a tiny bit (0.3° in my case) of toe in.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Kamoer
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Kamoer »

Tracking can be miles out on the front and you won't notice if its equal both sides , apart from poor mpg, inner tyre wear if it's toeing out and generally poor handling, I also noticed increased noise depending what road surface I was on.

Mine was over 3 degrees toeing out both sides, that's nearly 2 and a half complete revolutions of a track rod end and this didn't pull at all

Do your self a favour long term, get it tracked properly you'll get benefits ts back in mpg, tyres lasting alot longer and a nicer drive 👍