A call out for help!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
JlH
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

A call out for help!

Post by JlH »

I've just had a small nightmare of a day (brought on by my own lack of attention) but now its got worse and I'm hoping someone might be able to help.
Apologies for posting in this section but I don't have access to the wider forum yet.

I spent my whole day chasing down a replacement for my smashed front window of my 2008 Caddy Maxi (I lost my only remote key walking in the peaks, and 25 quid from the scrappie and putting my own window through was quicker and cheaper than a call out) :oops:

I then stalled moving around a car on an uphill junction in Sheffield and on trying to re-start my engine I've lost all power. :cry:

Electrically, the van seems sound, panel lights come one, glow plugs fine, slight dimming when I turn the key but nothing happens apart from a relay clicking behind the dash.

No sound from the starter or solenoid, no turning over, nowt. Plenty of fuel and absolutely no precursor noise/warning light/indication whatsoever. Does anyone have a clue what might be the problem? I'm working on the assumtion that I've knackered the starter trying to turn the van over, uphill, half in gear with some gas on (doing all the things at once instead of just stopping and doing it properly :roll:)

I can't see any starter fuses listed on the fuse diagrams, and can't find any details on the starter relay (if it has one), particularly any locations and model numbers so i can start working my way thorugh the chain starting with the cheapest bits first.

Any help will be so appreciated.

All the best,
Joe
Caddy-Dan
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: A call out for help!

Post by Caddy-Dan »

Might be worth looking at the fuse box next to the battery, not sure but I think the starter motor is wired to a maxi type fuse that’s screwed in along the front panel?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Hi Joe, sounds like you've had a right run of bad luck.
If you have access to a voltmeter, for me the first point to check would be the starter motor trigger wire. That's the fine wire on the plug at the starter motor. When that energies, the starter solenoid should engage and provide power to the starter motor to initiate cranking.
The starter motor is wired directly to the battery, you should check that the large red wire have a good 12v supply on it if you can.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
JlH
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by JlH »

Thanks Dan & Doc for replying. Spent a good few hours in diagnostic mode today... conclusions so far:
- No blown fuses
- Battery a more than adequate 12.38V
- Solenoid input receives 12.25V on turning they key so voltage drop not an issue in that circuit

Guesses are:
- Solenoid knackered
- Starter knackered
- Engine mechanically knackered!

Lets hope for one of the first two eh?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Do you have any noise from the solenoid when it's energised?
It's normally a solid thump/click.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
JlH
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by JlH »

It's never been somehitng I've listened for on this vehicle, though I'm familiar with it from others.
I'll get around to finishing the diagnosis today I hope, then might have to do some ordering