Stance + coilovers review?????

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
EasyTarget
Caddy Fan

Re: Stance + coilovers review?????

Post by EasyTarget »

My opinion of the stance+ coilovers are they are horrific.
I had them on my van for less than 1kmiles and couldn’t deal with them anymore and now upgraded to the bc racing coilovers which I should have bought in the first place.
If you want slammed looks for cheap then go for it but that’s about all they are good for.
16 VW Caddy 2.0 Trendline
68 VW Tiguan R-Line 4Motion
Pablo123
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Pablo123 »

I have stance , and think they are very good for the money
Caddy Dan123
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Caddy Dan123 »

Thats mine on the stance kit. Ive had them on well over a year and think they are bang on!! each to there own but i live up in scotland and our roads are very much challenging Image since I've had these on i can't fault them ride quality and handling is outstanding.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

I’ve had the stance kit on mine for over a year and apart from initially knocking, which was sorted with adjustable drop links, I still think they are the best bang for buck. No doubt the dearer ones are better, and I might look at them when these die, but if you are trying to do it all at once, on a budget, they are very good, I reckon
Andyscaddycamper
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Andyscaddycamper »

Danjk wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:55 am Unreal, what setting did you do on the rear?

Whats it like over ramps :lol:
Running the fourth hole up from the bottom of the bracket in the rear. It’s a tad higher than I’d like but for function and when I start getting weight in the back I’m hoping it’s perfect! The front is slightly lower but its perfect height to still breeze over speed bumps! 🤘🏼
Andyscaddycamper
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Andyscaddycamper »

This is the current Height!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Danjk
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Danjk »

Andyscaddycamper wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:19 pm Running the fourth hole up from the bottom of the bracket in the rear. It’s a tad higher than I’d like but for function and when I start getting weight in the back I’m hoping it’s perfect! The front is slightly lower but its perfect height to still breeze over speed bumps! 🤘🏼
I've got the stance in mine about a week, done approx. 200km and its knocking pretty bad. Old shocks going back in ffs
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Ive just finished putting the st-x on also on the 4th (last) hole from the bottom.
Ive not driven it yet and now I'm concerned lol.

Worst comes to worse ill either cut my drop links, thread them and make a turnbuckle for adjustment or ill drop it back down a hole or two.

In the meantime I better get some shorter drop links ordered.
Last edited by Scoobysrt on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Danjk
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Danjk »

I'm on the same holes on the rear. Let us know what happens and what you do, can ya take some pics if you do any cutting 😂
Last edited by Giddy on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Ive just seen they are only £35 a set so not worth worrying about, will just order some to get next week for that price.
Im an engineer so its not an issue making my own but at that price not worth the time.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Ive got to be honest, I've just had it out, quite a bit of weight in, I've gone over 3 types of speed hump multiple times at various speeds and angles I've done hard stops and set offs, I've swung it round corners and I've done full lock circles both ways.
Nothing bumped, banged or rubbed!
The springs need to bed in of course, it will have a bit more weight in then the fronts might need fettling again to level it up but for now I'm more than happy, im not really sure what the problems others are having but mine isn't.
I know it needs a good wash and shine but the weather crap.

Danjk
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Danjk »

Scoobysrt wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:10 pm Ive just seen they are only £35 a set so not worth worrying about, will just order some to get next week for that price.
Im an engineer so its not an issue making my own but at that price not worth the time.
Oh I thought you meant you were cutting something from the rear, yea I put in the adjustable droplinks in the front, in my opinion you absolutely must do this or you will get too much tension and they will snap!

My rear shock actually snapped a bolt, that's what the banging was so just have to find a new bolt for that now. How much did you cut off your bump stops? Want to make sure I don't cut too much off and end up letting the wheel hit the arches
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

I did it according to the instructions, cut down to 3.5", basically just cut the bottom knob bit off at the first recess.
Do not remove them, cut them in situ!!! The worse part of doing the rear was getting those buggers back in. A hacksaw makes light work of them.

I was talking about cutting the rear drop links as I thought your banging was the anti roll bar. There's no problem cutting those and threading them, its just the same as buying some already done ;)
Thread a left and a right hand thread and make a piece in the middle (turn buckle) that has matching threads. Its how we used to do it with rally cars when adjustable drop links weren't on the market.

When its all settled and im fully loaded I'll adjust the height of the front and see where front and back roll bars are sitting and go from there.

Remember its important to have the full vehicle weight on all the bushes before you tighten them up, it may be why your shock bolt snapped.
SamInAVan
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by SamInAVan »

Like any Caddy owner, the stock ride height brings shame upon my family, so there's nothing more I want than to change it.

Sorting it DIY is beyond my skill and patience level. I've been reading/watching reviews of all kinds of coilover kits. People seem to be fairly positive about Stance+, but here's my question...

Having seen some back and forth about 'needing this adjustment here' and 'replace that bit there' and 'cut that bit off' from people who have enough knowhow to hear a *knock* and logically work it out, and reading that Vanstyle have a free fitting service if you buy from them, is it worth me just accepting what the £££ difference will be between Stance+ (seeing online for £300) + professional fitting cost (a fella on YouTube paid £230) and Blistein B14s + free fitting service (in the region of double what I just mentioned) and resting easy that the van's got a good set of knees for a long time?

On the one hand I drive like I'm couriering the Queen (max MPG over max speed errday) so I don't need Nurburgring-approved shocks, buuuut about 500 spondoodles is not that much if you're already spending that much to risk needing new knees before long.

I suppose a good question to ask is, does anyone know of a perfect middle ground all present and future costs included? As in, decent enough shocks for a guy who forgets where the accelerator is, but wants to not have to think about it once it's done...
Zeberdeecaddy
100BHP+

Post by Zeberdeecaddy »

If you can’t or don’t want to fit them yourself , from the above 2 options i’d take the Bilsteins with free fitting .

Arguably a better set up , for the same cost to yourself .
T4 .
2.5 TDi 102 .