Stance + coilovers review?????

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: Stance + coilovers review?????

Post by Scoobysrt »

I would advise adjustable coil overs for the front as well which is the other £300 odd on top of the £300 rear which is why a lot go for the stance as the bilsteins with the adjustable fronts are a lot dearer.
In my opinion it is pointless putting the best on the back and just using lowering springs on the front.

Those of us with knocks and bangs are because we've got them on the lowest setting, personally I also have side rails so a bit of knocking was always going to happen until a bit of fettling was/is done, if you're even just one hole higher you won't have any knocking.

If you're not mechanically minded you would be better paying someone to do the fronts as they aren't a simple job to someone not done it before, the rears are literally just a undo a load of bolts and do them back up again sort of affair, im sure anyone could do a rear.

Paying someone is like anything else everyone will take your money but only some will do it properly, if you are there or you do it yourself you at least know its been done right and how to fix it if things go wrong.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
D_EDD
100BHP+

Post by D_EDD »

Y55ORR wrote:I’ve only had them on a week or so but I can’t fault the Stance+ kit at all. I removed a H&R lowering kit and fitted these. Nothing wrong with the H&R kit either I just wanted to be a bit lower. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a photo with the lowering kit just for reference?

Y55ORR
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Y55ORR »

I don’t mate sorry, was only on about a week before I decided I wanted to go a bit lower.

D_EDD
100BHP+

Post by D_EDD »

No worries, I can't decide on springs or coilovers. My head says springs my hart says coilovers

Zeberdeecaddy
100BHP+

Post by Zeberdeecaddy »

Coilovers every time .

You know you want to . 😉
T4 .
2.5 TDi 102 .
D_EDD
100BHP+

Stance + coilovers review?????

Post by D_EDD »

I do, but will the weight of work stuff and crappy lanes make me regret it?

Last edited by D_EDD on Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Coil overs only go on the front, with coil overs you can adjust the ride height of the front to an extent to find the best stance for your crappy lanes.
Work stuff in the back won't affect the front as much as the rear.
Springs only will give you NO adjustment.

The rear is adjusted on the rear plates. You can not put coil overs on the rear.

The stance kit is a good option, its on the cheaper side but still a popular kit.

If you go springs only and it doesn't cope with the lanes and weight you have to put standard suspension back on, if you go with a proper lowering kit with coil overs you just adjust the rear to a higher setting and wind the front up so it's level. Seems a no brainer to me.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
D_EDD
100BHP+

Post by D_EDD »

I get what you're saying, I've been looking at the Bilstein B14 coilovers from vanstyle with free fitting.
Although they're out of stock, I may give them a call tomorrow.

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

What's your plans for the rear?
D_EDD
100BHP+

Post by D_EDD »

This Kit Contains the Following Pieces:
2x Front Height Adjustable Coilovers
2x Rear Shocks
2x Lower Rear Shackle Kit

So I hope this will cover everything

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Yes it should do, you'll not regret it.
You may want some centralising plates or modify the ones in the kit if not done already but it's not a must have.

Edit, depending how low it goes you might need some shorter or adjustable drop links as well but I suggest you see how it goes first.
D_EDD
100BHP+

Post by D_EDD »

Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure I ask about everything you've mentioned.
Thanks very much

SamInAVan
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by SamInAVan »

Scoobysrt wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:17 pm Yes it should do, you'll not regret it.
You may want some centralising plates or modify the ones in the kit if not done already but it's not a must have.

Edit, depending how low it goes you might need some shorter or adjustable drop links as well but I suggest you see how it goes first.
Yours is looking nice in the pics above mate. How many mil is that dropped?

After trawling more YouTube reviews and also the Transporter forums I'm convinced these Stance+ coilies are worth it.

As you say, I'm only looking to close the arch gap so the van doesn't look like it's on stilts. I've got some pretty unforgiving roads to deal with so slamming it would be a shocker.

Need to find a garage in the NW (I'm around Chester) to do the honours.

If you're not going so low would you say the Stance+ Street kit that's £300 has all you need to get on the road?

What modification would the centralising plates in the kit need (if at all)?

Would you say shackle support blocks are also needed?

And, were you able to use your existing top mounts?
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

I edited my post before you posted because I went off on a tangent lol.

Mines lowered around 120mm but I want to go a bit more, im looking to add some air bags to the rear si I can raise it to go over speed humps etc so until I've made them up ill leave it at the height it is.

The stance are worth it, they are decent budget kits. Mines lowered on st-x kit but it's over twice the price and not much different.

I personally would say the £300 kit is all you need, i tried mine on a higher setting to see if my banging stopped and it did so its the standard drop links at fault on mine (I dropped it again and will put adjustable drop links on), if you're not going max low even a hole lower than max low you should be OK but if its not just put some drop links on afterwards, I've run mine 4 months on standard ones.
The shorter drop links stops your anti roll bar banging.

The lower you go the further forward the rear wheels go, I don't mind the look to be honest but others prefer the wheel central in the arch, centralising plates just do that, as I say I'm personally not bothered. There is a bolt or pin on the springs that locate the plates, centralising them just offsets that hole, some weld it up and re drill it.

Shackle support blocks? Do you mean anti wobble blocks? I haven't put them on but it's not a bad idea to do so, from what I've seen it's a bit of tube that bolts through one of the other holes in the rear brackets, ill make my own from some stainless tube one day, I haven't noticed any difference not having them.

Mines a 2016 and very good on all its bush's so I didn't change the top mounts, they were like new so pointless spending more money. If the rubber on yours looks tired I would change them while the shocks are off but if they are like new as mine were seems pointless.

As I removed the pic from earlier ill put it back up for context, this was the day I lowered it, the back sank a bit more when it bedded in and had tools in, I adjusted the front the make it level only a few weeks ago lol.

Edit, the banging on mine was actually one of the rear shockers that had lost a mounting bolt, not sure how and why but I locktighted them all after that.
Last edited by Scoobysrt on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
RallyeS2
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by RallyeS2 »

I have on my Caddy MTS Technik coilovers kit, all perfect and very good quality :D

Link:
https://mtstechnik.com/en/menu/street-13326.html