Mk4 Dash top compartment cover ideas

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Sabbunsingh
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: Mk4 Dash top compartment cover ideas

Post by Sabbunsingh » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:48 am

Marin97 wrote:okay, i need one but i dont want to pay 400£ for it :) i would go max 135 euros

Poslano sa mog H4113 koristeći Tapatalk
I paid less than £100 pounds for mine. Just need to find the right seller Image

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

V2 front. Mk5 mirrors. Cupra splitter. 8000k Hid. Led side lights and drl. Lowered on mk5 coils and custom shackles. Touran carpet,door cards,plastics,glovebox and seat bases. New caddy steering wheel. Midline cluster. Cruise. Heated mk5 gttdi seats wired and working. Alpine screen. 140 remap. Lots of other little bits.........

rush roo
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by rush roo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:07 am

Sabbunsingh wrote:+12v, ign +12v, neg, can+and can- to the correct can circuit. Simple really

ThisImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoobysrt
200BHP+

Post by Scoobysrt » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:36 am

So after having another look at this today its not as easy as it seems.
The compartments with the lid are either shallower and sit below the dash line so the lid can sit flush with the dash or they have a recess around the top so the lid fits inside and sits flush.
Its hard to tell on any pictures or drawings I've seen just how the lid sits on the compartment and whether its proud of the dash or not.

To retrofit a lid to an open compartment would mean the lid sits proud of the dash the thickness of the lid material or the lid sits flush but has a gap/join line around the edge and nothing supporting it around its perimeter.

The angled/twisted portion of the compartment is in the base section, the top face and the top portion of the sides are square so those of you with the LHD compartments sitting there collecting dust can cut the top off them with the hinge and maybe 10mm or so of the sides with it and after doing the same on your open top version you would need to plastic weld the lid version top section on as a new top piece giving you a RHD version compartment.

Unfortunatley im a skin flint and not prepared to spend £150 on the LHD version which is the cheapest I can find on ebay, I do not use facebook (and even then £50 is too much for me).

I need to have another look tomorrow (later today really I guess as its 3.30am atm) to see where to go from here with my personal one. Im thinking a thin aluminium top would sit on top and be proud but only by 0.5mm ish depending on alloy thickness, that could then be painted body colour to give a definite contrast so avoiding having to match the dash texture.

If needed I can take a pic or two when it's light to explain the mod those of you with LHD versions can do.
Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - DubUnit remap 180/190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers

Marin97
100BHP+

Post by Marin97 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:22 am

Sabbunsingh wrote:I paid less than £100 pounds for mine. Just need to find the right seller Image

please find one! :) get one for me, as im in Croatia :) send over mate maybe someday we get i beer Image

Poslano sa mog H4113 koristeći Tapatalk

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Caddy VAN 2017 TDI DSG 6-speed 102hp :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pics:
https://ibb.co/album/8bB8TJ

Scoobysrt
200BHP+

Post by Scoobysrt » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:32 am

It seems there's 2 types?

The caddy life has one that has 2 arms the lid rotates up on but the rear corners are moulded to accommodate those and the compartment space is smaller and the other type has a sprung hinge at the back leaving the full compartment space.
Or maybe the life is a mk3 version?
Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - DubUnit remap 180/190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers

Scoobysrt
200BHP+

Post by Scoobysrt » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 pm

Someone with the LHD lid version would need to confirm but the angled part seems to be in the lower half, you should be able to see it in this picture,

The rest of the compartment seems square to the top,

I suggest if you cut around this level on both compartments, the top with the hinged cover will attach to the bottom of your original open compartment,

Someone with the LHD lid needs to check the lid is straight/flat and not twisted to the bias of a LHD dash, if the lid fits the RHD dash slope/curve this would be the easiest way to get one to fit.

Scoobysrt
200BHP+

Post by Scoobysrt » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:19 pm

Edit, ok scrap that, just noticed there is a twist on top as well :(

Putting the LHD compartment in the oven on a low temp for a while then twisting it the opposite way and dunking it in a bath of cold water may sort it but I'm not spending £150 to find out.

Marin97
100BHP+

Post by Marin97 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:31 pm

3d printer is your solution i think!

Scan in 3d, flip so it fits for LHD then print a prototype, then make a molding and cast a plastic.
I think that you can try query that job on sites as made-in-china something and ask someone to make LHD.
That is what i would do!

I think its pretty doable, because today you can scan with better smartphone, adjusting scanned model is pretty easy to do and straight forward checking for measurements on 3d printed one versus RHD just in opposite sides :)

That print would be cheap, and also with better printer it can be really realistic, also you can edit scanned model and add something that you want for example holes for 12v sockets, usb sockets, usb-c sockets, wireless charging pad, phone holder, boost gauges holder etc..

To be honest i have access to some good printers also to some good scanners, so i can try that if everyone is interested, i can try to make 3d printed prototype, and find out how much would it cost to cast out from model, only problem is i don't have any LHD car to try it out ( chances are pretty small to find one in Croatia)

let me know!
Pics:

Scoobysrt
200BHP+

Post by Scoobysrt » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:39 pm

I don't just have access, I own 3d printers more than capable of doing it but I don't own a scanner good enough. Ive used mobile phone scanning apps and I've used photo stitching apps etc but they aren't good enough for this.
Ive got a laser scanner but its not good enough for this either.

There's little point in printing a whole new compartment to match what we already have. The way to do it would be to just do a lid but the finish wouldn't match the rest of the dash.

I do have an idea for anyone wanting to make their own at home using the original open top compartment and some fiber glass but ill see what interest there is before committing to a how to guide.
For me personally its easier and quicker to roll a piece of aluminium sheet for the cover.
The hardest part is making or acquiring a soft open sprung hinge which is what I was working on before my accident.
Last edited by Scoobysrt on Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rush roo
100BHP+

Post by rush roo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:41 pm

They would have to liquid print as 3D wouldn’t be a good enough quality

rush roo
100BHP+

Post by rush roo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:43 pm

This will work I’m just pushing down that corner

Scoobysrt
200BHP+

Post by Scoobysrt » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:45 pm

My fdm is pretty good but yes a resin printer would get a closer to original finish.

Shapeways.com springs to mind but prices would be unrealistic.

Marin97
100BHP+

Post by Marin97 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 pm

As i said 3d print can be good in my opinion, but would use only for mold casting!
Today 3d prints can be awesome as i heard there is new 3d printing plastic that is light and very strong almost :) as carbon fibers, and many airplane model making people use it as its very durable!
But as i said i think it would be better to mold one out from cast and then it would be from one pice and better looking :)
Pics:

Scoobysrt
200BHP+

Post by Scoobysrt » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 pm

rush roo wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:43 pm
This will work I’m just pushing down that corner

Is that a full LHD compartment fitted or just a LHD lid on a RHD compartment?
That gap at the front wouldn't work for me but if its OK for everyone else a few minutes with a hair dryer should set that.

Marin97
100BHP+

Post by Marin97 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:50 pm

I get that base is different in LHD and RHD, maybe lid can be same for both??
Pics: