Auxilary Heater

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Cookie4086
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Auxilary Heater

Post by Cookie4086 »

OK, a quick forum search suggests it's been covered in the past, but I figure it's worth starting again to get a bit more up-to-date input...

Has anybody retro-fitted a genuine VW/Webasto auxilary heater to their van?

I'm wanting to use the Caddy as a camper, and was looking at fitting a diesel heater when I discovered there's a genuine VW version, so figured it might make more sense to go along that line?
any thoughts? words of warning? advice? all is welcome?
Cookie.
VanLife
Twin Turbo poster

Re: Auxilary Heater

Post by VanLife »

I have fitted one to my Caddy. I did it at the same time as my engine conversion as the donor touran had the heater and I wanted to keep it.

I didn't test it when I fitted it and now its getting cold I'm fairly sure it's not working so I need to look into it.

Good news is VW have provided all the mounting points so its just a bolt on job. Most difficult bit is dropping the fuel tank - just try to do it when the tank is nearly empty!

I took the full loom and ECU from the Touran so it was it was just plug and play for me. Not sure what wiring or programming is required to add it to a vehicle that didn't come with it from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Marin97
100BHP+

Post by Marin97 »

Very interesting topic,

Asked myself that question few days ago, tought about posting it but i tought when i get full acces ill probably find it in forum.

would be cool of someone would reply with all parts needed, and advice what needed to be done to fit it, mk3 mk4 caddy..

Anyways following :)

Poslano sa mog H4113 koristeći Tapatalk

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Caddy VAN 2017 TDI DSG 6-speed 150hp :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pics:
https://ibb.co/album/8bB8TJ
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

Hi,
I had an Aux Heater (Eberspächer Hydronic) fitted from factory on my T4 Caravelle.
Bought the upgrade kit - Controller, cables, electric water pump and pipes, with instructions.
Fitted the extra kit so that it would work independently of the engine, and it worked surprisingly well.

Things to consider ...

If you have a factory fitted kit, but no remote/timer then you just need the remote upgrade kit.

If you buy an upgrade-retrofit kit for the Caddy you will need the version with remote control/timer control pad so that you can use it stationary without engine. These kits are quite expensive

Heated air is from the cabin heater matrix so air flows from heating ducts - Floor and Dash as set, with preset fan speed.
You can set controls as you find best while camping, but you may find heating the rear space in a Maxi takes a while......

If your Caddy hasn't a factory fit Aux Heater then it may be better, especially if doing a full camper conversion, to consider a Campervan Diesel Heater as they can be ducted to the area that you need the heat and will work thermostatically all night.
They also run off your leisure battery so no flat battery from using your Aux heater too much during the night.

There are some pretty cheap units out there now, including the Mikuni Japanese ones from about £600
Search Mikuni MV Aero 2
https://t4mation.me.uk/products/t5-dies ... -mv-airo-2
Last edited by petrev on Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cookie4086
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Cookie4086 »

Thanks folks;

I think that following Petrev’s comments, I’ll go with a stand alone heater rather than the VW original - I believe there’s space under the floor to fit it, and the install shouldn’t be too tricky - I’ll post updates as I go for the others who were interested,
Cookie.
stan-the-man
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by stan-the-man »

I have retrofitted mine 4 years ago now and had one in my fl van previous to that and I love it. I made the wiring myself and got the unit new from Poland and extra hoses and fuel lines from VW.

It’s not cheap and not very expensive either depending where you source your bits but defo one of the best mods I ever done to be honest. I like my to be warm so I use it since early October already .

For me hardest part was to fit a double hose at the back of engine as I had to use a garage ramp to do so due to no access in mk4 caddy. Pre facelift was much much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marin97
100BHP+

Post by Marin97 »

Part number for oem?

Poslano sa mog SM-G960F koristeći Tapatalk

Last edited by Doc on Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
Pics:
Marin97
100BHP+

Post by Marin97 »

Anyone part numbers needed to order them from vw? Or any links etc..

Pics:
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Part numbers for what?
The heater? Controls? Pipes? Fuel lines?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Banada
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Banada »

I would be interested in this as I have a Webasto thermotop in my LR Discovery 4 on a remote. It is very useful in winter for warming the engine prior to starting which, I'm guessing, would reduce wear on the engine during the colder months. I did check prior to buying a caddy that they can be fitted as in the Nordic countries I've worked, they have these fitted in nearly all engines, whether it is on a 40t dumper or a small car.
stan-the-man
Hyper Poster

Post by stan-the-man »

Diesel 5K0815005D, 1K0815007BT, 1K0815007CG for example. This is only the main unit with exhaust, filter etc.

The 5K0 is the late caddy 1k0 earlier but that shouldn’t matter they’ll work from first to mk4 caddy.

When I was looking for mine I wanted as fresh as possible due to wear and tear on these over the years so I managed to find one manufactured in 2015 to use in my 2016 caddy.
It arrived brand new as it came from a vehicle that had it fitted but never seen winter use

Smith6098
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Smith6098 »

I am also looking at retro fitting a Eberspächer or a Webasto unit in my maxi.

I am thinking that behind the drivers seat is the best place for it, I would love to hear your thoughts on this though as I've not done this before and there is probably a better way of doing it!

TIA
Marin97
100BHP+

Post by Marin97 »

Hey, cool answers, @Doc you are right. Should ask for part numbers that ill need to fit webasto in my mk4 caddy 2.0tdi..
Im newbie arround all this so sometimes is hard to ask for something unknown.

I am interested in fitting webasto in my car but I dont know much about it. Is it powered by battery, or by diesel fuel like I've seen some in cars and trucks, you get my point.

Is there even original one that has been fitted to caddys or it from other vw cars but can be fitted.. ?

Thanks!

Pics:
Marin97
100BHP+

Post by Marin97 »

Smith6098 wrote:I am also looking at retro fitting a Eberspächer or a Webasto unit in my maxi.

I am thinking that behind the drivers seat is the best place for it, I would love to hear your thoughts on this though as I've not done this before and there is probably a better way of doing it!

TIA
5K0815005D these from stan up seems cool pn..

Pics:
stan-the-man
Hyper Poster

Post by stan-the-man »

You need metering pump, additional fuel line, Webasto unit itself with exhaust, filter, bracket etc, remote with control unit, few additional coolant hoses to marry it all up together to existing cooling system, few bolts nuts and clips and wiring of course.

There’s no need to change existing fuel pump as the original one will have a blank for the Webasto fuel line that you snip off and insert new rod and secure with ring clip.

If you need help I can compile the list of the bits for you. Yours is mk4 LHD isn’t it?