Tailgate option

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
yorkshiredalescrafts
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Tailgate option

Post by yorkshiredalescrafts »

Have done a search for tailgate but could not find what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a 2017 - 2020 Caddy Trendline or Highline, most seem to have rear barn doors, was the tailgate an option or only available on specific vans.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Re: Tailgate option

Post by dan@biali »

I believe it was a cost option on all Caddys and even as a solid door with no glass but the extra cost and no real benefit to most caddy owners means it was probably rarely specced.

I just checked the latest Caddy 5 configurator and its showing as a cost option on the lowest spec - £190 for basic version and £330 for power latched. That most likely puts people off speccing plus its not as practical for people who use them for work - much easier to pop open a small door to get a tool or bit of material out insead of having to fully open a tailgate with powerful springs that requires more effort to open and close plus if you're tall then could possibly catch your head on it!
yorkshiredalescrafts
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by yorkshiredalescrafts »

OK, thanks for your reply, we'll keep looking.
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster

Post by SnoWhite »

If you are looking to buy an early Caddy but with a tailgate then you will find most of them are the passenger carrying "Caddy Life" or Caddy Maxi Life variants.

Tailgates were offered as a factory option on Caddy vans but very few new van buyers chose that option so second hand Caddy vans models with a tailgate are extremely rare .

As you are new to the forum I do not know whether you are aware that the Caddy Life "Passenger carrying" variants are classed as cars in the UK , so the normal car speed limits apply to them, whilst on some roads the lower speed limits for commercial vehicles apply to Caddy vans.
dmc26
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by dmc26 »

On the subject of tailgates.

I’ve noticed the 2017 single tailgate with and without glass.

Does anyone know the cost of these from vw?
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

Do you mean to replace a solid tailgate with one with glass? I think its about £500 for a tailgate, £180 for glass and then obviously painting and fitting. Budget for £1k in case those prices have gone up.
dmc26
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by dmc26 »

Tailgate solid without glass to replace my 2013 single tailgate
Craftybutcher
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Craftybutcher »

Hi ive just bought a highline 2.0 tdi 150ps and having a tailgate was important i like the idea of using it like a canopy i managed to find one with no rear window but i was looking for ages they had three the same for sale.
Shaft No1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Shaft No1 »

Hello craftybutcher,
I'm after a tailgate 2016 or new SWB.
Do you still know about the others that were for sale are still around or if you have any links, that'll be mucho gracias ;)
AcScotland
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by AcScotland »

I was in the same boat, mine was. 2019 demonstrator so speccd by the dealer, highline with solid tailgate, no glass and there were a few about but less than 10 out of all the vans on auto trader when I was looking.
I love mine though , tailgate makes it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shaft No1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Shaft No1 »

You're right mate though I have found a few, one was sold just last night good spec whilst I spotted it the weekend, but they're like rare. I just spoke to some guy I know who sold his one but was older than 2016 and it was cool with the tailgate and glass. It may have been on here (W10 DUB beige swb)

Some are on the internet but are 20k plus. (My GF wont like that if she finds out :oops: :oops: :oops: )

Do you have trouble with viewing behind? I'm thinking maybe a permanent camera or dashcam view out the back whist driving forward.
I have this on my Skyline though I have a rear window its always handy.
Last edited by Giddy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
Innes Buchanan
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Innes Buchanan »

I have a 2019 Maxi Life which came standard with a tailgate with glass. Great to work under in bad weather. I bought a Reimo tailgate tent which also makes a big difference. Can be closed for using as an outdoor shower and toilet compartment. It also has a large opening zip door. I am building a rear kitchen into the boot behind the 3rd row seats
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Just thinking aloud but if someone was desperate enough I wonder if oem hinges could be bought and a pair of barn doors welded up lol

Now I've written it this sounds a stupid idea if nothing else there will be no easy way to put a catch on it but I'll leave it here for a giggle.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro