Which to buy Carista OBD Eleven or Carly ?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Alex mc
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Alex mc »

Hi I’m Alex joiner to trade based near Glasgow . I’m new to forum I have a 2017 plate 2.0tdi SWB Caddy . It’s been lowered on 19” wheels remapped fully insulated and carpeted in the back bulkhead re- trimmed with custom made 3D badges behind carpet on side panels .
I’m looking to buy a scan tool so I can do some improvements switch stuff of or turn it on or just diagnose any issues . Which of these scan tools is any good carista Carly or OBD Eleven . Looking for recommendations if anyone has any of these ( for the mechanics on here please don’t all charge at me with pitch forks and torches for asking) I know you guys ( and girls of course ) have the dogs danglies of software for doing such things.
Cabbs
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Which to buy Carista OBD Eleven or Carly ?

Post by Cabbs »

Hi Alex and Welcome.

If your going to invest in something like this why not do it properly and buy vcds? Vcds will be more than you’ll need for finding faults, coding etc. Well worth the money mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

+1 for VCDS
More help available for it too
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
Alex mc
200BHP+

Post by Alex mc »

Perfect thanks for for replying gents . I’m all about buying correct tool for the job.

Where is the best place to buy the VCDs . Does it come as a kit and will this only work for VW or will it work on all VAG vehicles as I have an A4 as well .

Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

I bought mine from Gendan, comes with all you need except a laptop.
Works with the majority of VAG.
Check out Ross tech site for what it covers
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
Cabbs
Hyper Poster

Post by Cabbs »

Same. I bought mine from Gendan. Put Vcds in google and they come up or use the link below dude. All you get is the cable but that cable is a licensed cable for there software which you download onto your laptop from there website with free lifetime updates.
I bought the one for 3 car applications which means I can use it on 3 different vehicles but if you want more applications you can get the more expensive ones which have 10 vehicles or unlimited vehicles if I’m right. Even if you buy the 3 vehicle cable you can again upgrade.
There is also a Bluetooth option which you can work from your phone.

https://m.gendan.co.uk/vcds-hex-v2.php? ... gKcPvD_BwE

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

+1 for vcds and gemdan,
You get the cable, dongle and depending on which model the software as well (otherwise its a free download).

If you buy a limited vin number version you can pay and upgrade at a later date.

Don't get suckered into buying a knock off version from ebay is my only suggestion.

They have their own forum as well for any help you may need.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
quirkafleeg
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by quirkafleeg »

If I can play devil's advocate it really depends on how much use you're going to put it through. I got a Carista last year, it was good enough to diagnose a couple of warnings, and the other (thankfully totally dry) morning when I woke up to find both my windows down, it had the capability to switch off that perviously unknown key fob gimmick!

Obviously VCDS has massively more capability, but in my case I doubt I'd have done anything extra after spending that sort of money.
Alex mc
200BHP+

Post by Alex mc »

Gents a big Big thank you to you all for the replies and for the information you have provided.
I’m half way there @ Papa Bear I’ve got the laptop and thank you for pointing me in the right direction of where to start . Thank you @ Cabbs for the link you shared I’ll check that out shortly . Thank you to @Scoobysrt for the info shared and thank you to @ quirkafleeg for some feed back on the carista.

@ quirkafleeg what are some of the possible functions with carista on the caddy .

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

You're welcome, the thing I'm not sure has been mentioned yet is most of us with programmers have vcds so that's where you'll get most help on the forum, I've not read about carista before this thread so advice on here regarding how to do stuff might not be as freely available unless it uses a simular set up/lay out.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
quirkafleeg
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by quirkafleeg »

Alex mc wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:01 pm @ quirkafleeg what are some of the possible functions with carista on the caddy .
Not sure where to start but I've just fired it up and took a few screenshots that covers a good selection of the menu options:

Obviously not in the same league as the expensive stuff, but covers the basics for me. When I need something better I'll happily pay someone with a VCDS for lending a hand. It all depends how much use you'll be making of it I suppose.
Alex mc
200BHP+

Post by Alex mc »

@ quirkafleeg thanks for taking the time to post . Thats a pretty impressive bit of kit for the the money looks straight forward enough to use which I like. I had look a VCDs again impressive but I’d need someone to run a demo with it before I was off using it alone .It is a nice bit of kit but for the amount I’d likely use VCDS it could be costly tool to lay around in my cupboard.

Is there any hidden cost with carista or once you buy it that’s it ?
Vag wag
100BHP+

Post by Vag wag »

Carissa has a annual fee around £30..
quirkafleeg
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by quirkafleeg »

No there's a cost unfortunately. 34 quid a year to unlock all the features in the software. You get a 30 day free trial with it, and I think there were other options rather than yearly, £10 for a one off or weeks use rings a bell
quirkafleeg
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by quirkafleeg »

Actually it's gone up in price since last year :(

I paid £16 for it and then £34 for a year's access. It's now £25 with the free month then £10/month, £20/3 month or £47/year. I've got til March, not sure if I'll renew it or not. I think it'll be better to pay a tenner for a month when I want to use it again.

https://caristaapp.com/pricing