start/stop not working

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
staelens
Caddy2k Groupie

start/stop not working

Post by staelens »

I got my caddy a couple days ago and I love it. The start-stop function worked perfectly on the way home, but since today it wont work anymore. I get the following "notification" on my dash, manual tells me that it means "start-stop not available". Car and engine are more than warm enough for it to work, I cant seem to find the cause of this. Any ideas?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: start/stop not working

Post by Doc »

There may be several reasons.
Engine oil temperature below/above threshold, engine coolant below/above threshold, electrical loading above threshold, battery charge voltage below threshold, heat demand from HVAC controller.....
The list goes on.

There's a lot of parameters that need to be satisfied for stop/start to operate.
Do you recognize any of the above as a possible causes?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
jackdawson1812
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Post by jackdawson1812 »

As doc said there’s multiple things that can cause stop start working, mine normally stops when the DPF needs a regen after a run down the motorway mine starts to work. I’m not sure if you can view on Vcds the causes that stop it from working but on odis the software that vw audi etc use you can view the reason why stop start doesn’t work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AT THE END OF THE DAY IT GETS DARK
staelens
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by staelens »

Thanks for the replies. Ik think temperature is not a problem, oil temperature is perfect. It does not start working after a (long) drive on the motorway either.
Things i did since i got the car; placed some hubcaps, replaced interior lighting with leds (already reversed to check if that made a difference...) and pulled out my lights switch to check the connection.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HD1903 met Tapatalk

Papa Bear
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Papa Bear »

I am not knowledgeable on vow stop start as dont have it but on my juke it wouldn’t work if heated rear window was on.
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
Southhamscaddy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Southhamscaddy »

Not a solution for you but both my Caddy 2013 1.6TDI and my wife's Golf (same engine bit more BHP) have the same problem. Intermittently they work more but more often not working. We generally do local runs often <5 miles but even on long runs from S Devon to 'oop north' 300 miles plus it only kicks in very infrequently. If DPF is an issue I would have thought it should clear on a long run. My van was off road for a couple of months with an in injector leak and ABS fault and on its maiden re-launch to Plymouth (20 miles) it kicked in once only. I don't have VCDS (didn't know it existed till after I'd bought my Autel VAG scanner and joined the forum) but no faults are ever recorded to explain the problem.
Not sure what mpg people usually get, as a consequence I get 38 locally 40 plus on a run whilsy my other halfs Golf gets 10 mpg more.
Wish I could find an easy solution
nazdaq100
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by nazdaq100 »

Clear all faults what ever remains. Is a permanent fault moving forward recheck faults

Your worst night mare is DPF sometimes engine temperature does not reach high in this case

So regardless look out for things like EGR boost pressure sensor injector or dpf differential pressure sensor
VCDS HEX-V2® / VCP+K Line® / ODIS Geko Online
SunEye
Caddy Fan

Post by SunEye »

In my Caddy the start/stop was the first thing to stop working when the battery got towards the end of its life. It was a further six months or more before other things started happening which made me think that the battery was on its way out. Once a new battery was fitted the start/stop worked perfectly.
staelens
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by staelens »

SunEye wrote:In my Caddy the start/stop was the first thing to stop working when the battery got towards the end of its life. It was a further six months or more before other things started happening which made me think that the battery was on its way out. Once a new battery was fitted the start/stop worked perfectly.
I measured the battery and voltages are perfect, any other indications on a dying battery?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HD1903 met Tapatalk

SunEye
Caddy Fan

Post by SunEye »

Did you measure the battery under load? I use an old fashioned style battery tester like this https://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB/P ... ame=282625 which can add a load to a battery. When I started having other electrical problems (e.g. electric windows not shutting fully) I tested the battery and although the voltage of the battery was ok when disconnected, under load it was a bit weak. Charging the battery made no difference to it.
ConnorCaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by ConnorCaddy »

9 times out of 10 it will be the battery condition not being met.

I had my 1.6tdi for 6 months and the start/stop only worked maybe half a dozen time at most, one cold morning my battery died, I replaced with a suitable AGM battery and ever since then (fast forward another 12 months) and my stop/start has worked every time (providing the engine is up to temp as mentioned above)

It's also worth nothing in the 6 months where my stop/start barely worked, the battery was starting the van no problem, I had no reason to suspect my battery was on it's way out or part of the problem, until 1 morning, it died!