Renewing the coolant ???

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
usto
Caddy2k Groupie

Renewing the coolant ???

Post by usto »

Dear colleagues of the forum,

•Do you know what pressure is in the coolant circuit of the main coolant radiator?
•Is any additional step necessary in the control unit when renewing the coolant?
•Do I drain all the coolant with the valve and replace it, or is it necessary to take it to the service station and have it done by them?

Thanks for all the information you provide !!!!
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Renewing the coolant ???

Post by Doc »

I believe the coolant cap is a 6 bar version as standard across all Caddy2k.
There is no need for diagnostic equipment when changing coolant, just drain and refill. The system will bleed out air as the engine is running, you might need to top up the reservoir after it has heated and cooled down again for the first time.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Just out of interest Doc, would disconnecting the bottom hose on the radiator be the best way. I assume there’s no drain plug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I've never seen a drain plug for the coolant on a Caddy. Any time I've drained the coolant it's just been a case or removing the lowest point on the pipework.
Once the level drops, you can remove other connections to get as must as possible out.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Got you mate. The thread just piqued my interest as it’s a job I’ll surely do at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Vag wag
100BHP+

Post by Vag wag »

I unclipped the bottom hose,
when doing the timing belt,

caught the coolant in a bucket
and put it back in when all done .. ;)
Vdubsworld97
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Vdubsworld97 »

May be a good idea also to flush it through with water before filling up properly to make sure it’s all clean,
Had to do it on mine but make sure you drain it once the thermostat has opened and only flush the system once the engine has cooled down so that you don’t crack the block
tek199
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by tek199 »

Is the process the same with the water intercooled system (CUUD diesel) as there are two radiators to worry about?
stagro1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by stagro1 »

Hi guys,
I have questiont regarding coolant, so i will ask here:
Which type of coolant should I use for my 1.6 tdi CAYD 2013?
On my coolant reservoir is the notice that G12 coolant is the right one. But in my caddy manual is infor that the system is fulfill with G13 coolant (TL-VW 774 J).
Which is the right one, or which is better if both can be used.

Thanks a lot in advance.
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

Strange ! How un-German !!

My reservoir also says G12 - Printed on at manufacture.
But my manual clearly states refill with distilled water and 40% G13 or at least G12++ (both purple).
Mixing with G12, G12+ or G11 will significantly decrease level of corrosion protection.

Wolf Lubes - What you need to know about G13 antifreeze and coolant

Quote Manual
Coolant specification

The cooling system is filled at the factory with a mixture of specially prepared water and at least 40% coolant additive G 13 (TL-VW 774 J).

The proportion of coolant additive must always be at least 40% to protect the cooling system. I greater frost protection is required in very cold

Coolant and coolant additives can pollute the environment. Spilt service fluids must be collected then disposed of properly and in an environmentally responsible way.

Checking the coolant level and refilling coolant

Please refer to A and on page 238 and A at the start of the chapter on page 247

climates, the proportion of anti-freeze additive can be increased. However, the percentage of coolant additive should not exceed 60%, as this would reduce the frost protection and the cooling effect.

The coolant additive is dyed purple. The mixture of water and a coolant additive offers anti-freeze protection down to -25°C (-13°F), protects the alloy parts in the cooling system against corrosion, prevents limescale deposits and significant ly increases the boiling point of the coolant.

When refilling the coolant, a mixture of distilled water and at least 40% coolant additive G 13 or G 12 plus-plus (TL-VW 774 G) (both of which are dyed purple) must be used in order to obtain the optimum corrosion protection @.

Mixing G 13 with the coolant additives G 12 plus (TL-VW 774 F), G 12 (dyed red) or G 11 (dyed blue-green) will significantly decrease the level of corrosion protection and should therefore be avoided.
stagro1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by stagro1 »

I have the same text in my manual.
So there is a question :)
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

Yes, definitely a question.
I think the manual and link address it by saying
G13 or G12++ safe to mix. All others reduce corrosion protection if mixed with 13 or 12++.

G13 is better for the environment, but G12++ is equally effective.

Only use distilled or de-ionised water.

Actual experts can no doubt confirm or deny what I am reading.
🙂🙁
:popcorn:
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Got to admit on any of my vehicles I've never used distilled water and the only spec of coolant I've looked at is what temperature it freezes at.
Maybe on my new one I should be using the recommended 'juice' lol.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro