Sign Writing Paintwork

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Phillstine
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Sign Writing Paintwork

Post by Phillstine »

Hi Guys,

In the tail end of last year I removed all the sign writing and vinyl graphics on my van.

Does anyone know if a good compound and polish will bring this paintwork back or is it passed that?

I’ve tried to show the varying stages of what it looks like. It was on there for around 10 years and was a real ball ache to remove!

J_Con
Twin Turbo poster

Re: Sign Writing Paintwork

Post by J_Con »

Have you got access to da polisher? You won't achieve results by hand on removing this

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Phillstine
Caddy2k Groupie

Sign Writing Paintwork

Post by Phillstine »

My goal would be to either buy one and do the stuff if it was possible. Alternatively pay someone professionally to do it.

I have not tried to do anything with it yet as I want to know if the paintwork is salvageable before proceeding any further.
J_Con
Twin Turbo poster

Post by J_Con »

It will be salvageable. When you take the sign writing off its the paint around it that has changed. Have you tried some glue remover to get rid of the residue from where the stickers were? I'd do this first then wipe down with some ipa.

If you are looking to get into detailing its worth while buying you're own products eg dad 6 Pro, Hex pads and compounds. You'll have to polish the whole van as it will look odd if certain bits/panels are corrected.

Where are you based?

Phillstine
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Phillstine »

Oh good thank you! I've read horror stories of having to wetsand it back!

I used a caramel wheel and tar remover to clean the panels I've then clay barred the whole van so it's all smooth and prepped.

I've spent a lot of time over the last few years watching the likes of Ammo NYC, Forensic Detailing, Meguiars UK etc. so have also liked the idea of just getting a DA and getting to it but wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a lost investment.

I would look to do the whole van and restore some stone chips etc anyway, if It's deemed worth it I wont do it by half :lol:

I'm based in Surrey.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Sign Writing Paintwork

Post by the swan fiend »

I’ve still got “looking after your world” in the paint on the bonnet of my ex gas van. I’d like to remove it at some point. I have a DA but I’m unsure what polish to use, so I’m watching this thread.

If you wanted a pro to do it, @Barbel330 is based down your way. They don’t come any more pro than him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
J_Con
Twin Turbo poster

Post by J_Con »

If you buy a das 6 Pro and use it once and decide to sell, you'd get a decent return after doing you're van.

I'd buy chemical guys hex logic quantum pads 2 orange 2 yellow and also a black finishing pad. Mezerna medium cut polish. Car pro reflect for a great glossy finish Image

Last edited by J_Con on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Nice one mate, I’ll look into the mazerna

J_Con
Twin Turbo poster

Post by J_Con »

Obviously test an area first but I've found it to be hard paint. Start least aggressive and work you're way up.

Make sure to buy something to wipe the paint down after each pass and there is oils etc in polish so can make area's look better than what they are. I use car pro eraser for this but an ipa will do the same

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Cheers mate. Wiping down the paint like that is new to me so it’s something else I can do some research on.

tek199
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by tek199 »

I used 25% alcohol solution. Just mix your own with demineralised water. It removed all oils from cutting and buffing products. Works well on removing small tar/glue stains.
I spoke to a mate who does tinting and graphics and some of the cheaper (chinese) vinyl can "eat" into paint according to him (after few years in the sun). If cutting fails and you reach the minimum clear depth you can always wrap the van.
Phillstine
Caddy2k Groupie

Sign Writing Paintwork

Post by Phillstine »

Thank you all for your suggestions and input.

I guess outside of just giving it a go it could go either way!

I'll report back if I take the plunge with a DA!
J_Con
Twin Turbo poster

Post by J_Con »

https://www.shopnshine.co.uk/products/d ... w-polisher

Use DA10 and get 10% off of you decide to go for itImage

eddyeast
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by eddyeast »

Hello.

I have been down this road a few times and its always a bit of a job. I would start with gentle heat. Heat gun or panel dryer
(don't get paint to hot may bubble or you can pick holes in the paint)
and then try to peel it off .If very stubborn try to use an eraser wheel care also needed.
Then use Tar n Glue remover for adhesive that has not come away with decal.
Then try to just compound Polish it out,3M Green top working to a finish polish.
I have also had to use wet sand before 3M trizact. but this is an art as you can sand through the paint
just as you can polish through the paint and end up with very shiny primmer and a bit of re-paint required.
Jewkes.of.hazzard
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jewkes.of.hazzard »

You could still see the signwriting on my ex bristish gasser but it wasnt as bad as that, but I gave it a good polish with autoglym resin polish and it got rid of all of it. Im thinking it was more of the glue being left on the paint. It does look like someone used a scouring pad to remove it in places though lol