Dead as a Dodo.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Redpanda
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Dead as a Dodo.

Post by Redpanda »

Hi, hoping you have not gone completely gaga because of Covid! I'd like to thank the Admin bods for getting me sorted so as to get on line again.
Onto a little problem that is currently vexing my van.
My van is a Ex B/G Caddy maxi plus, 1.6 tdi, 2011 plate.
I had parked up my van just before Xmas. Went to start it the other day, narda, nothing working, opened drivers door with key, key in ignition, not a thing!!
Bonnet up, checked battery, flat. No surprise really, put a new battery on it, ......... nothing, still mort!
Did notice the lack of 'CLICK' from battery isolator. Out with the test metre, checked all earth's that I could find, all still attached and not corroded, checked all fuses, got location diagrams off the net, all present and correct, relays next, checked them all, seem ok.
After all this prodding and poking still dead.
Ok, removed battery isolator relay, had a shuffty at diag on front of it, onto the work bench, connected terminals 2 & 4 to a 12v power supply, meter across the two ears, 'CLICK' yeay, now latched over to closed. Re-fitted to van and and and still wont start, have now got central locking, curtesy light, LED lights in cab and rear compartment, side lights and that's it.
Bit the bullet and called Green Flag, they turned up, did everything I did, plus connected a battery condition meter, no problem with the battery.
Still no luck, their recommendation was to get an auto sparks to have a look.
So before I have too re-mortgage the house, I thought i'd ask you fine bunch if you had any idea's.
So over to you........
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Dead as a Dodo.

Post by Doc »

Might be any of a whole load of things, might be best to get an auto electrician to check but maybe first check the fuses are all good and also the ignition relay.
Is there any change in the systems when you turn the key? Instrument cluster lights up?
Any clicking or buzzing in the engine bay?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Redpanda
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Redpanda »

No, no change, no noises, nothing. Every fuse has been removed and checked. I even located the onboard distribution controller, unplugged the three big connectors, re-plugged, no change!
Through idea's at me, anything. I can't believe nobody else has not had similar or the same problem in the past.
I'll even check the tyre pressures if it helps!! :lol:
Regards
Peter
Aronfields
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Aronfields »

Have you checked the other relays etc ? Check for power at bcm etc
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Where are you?
Hopefully you have obd power and someone close can plug their vcds in for you.
It could be corroded/furred contacts on your ecu.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

If nothing is changing with switching the ignition on, for me that would point to the ignition switch or relay.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Redpanda
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Redpanda »

Aronfields wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:51 pm Have you checked the other relays etc ? Check for power at bcm etc
Yes, both myself and the Green Flag bod checked all relays, the green flag bod had a machine he plugged the relay's into to check operation.
Peter
Redpanda
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Redpanda »

Scoobysrt wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:15 am Where are you?
Hopefully you have obd power and someone close can plug their vcds in for you.
It could be corroded/furred contacts on your ecu.
I have an OBD unit, but when the problem first showed up, there was no power to the socket. I have not had a chance to look at the van as am back on shift for 4 days.
Peter
Redpanda
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Redpanda »

Doc wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:22 am If nothing is changing with switching the ignition on, for me that would point to the ignition switch or relay.
Before I forget, I'd like to thank you all for your thoughts so far, with a following wind, we may between us solve this issue, I hope!
That will be my next port of call once off shift.
Peter :)
Redpanda
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Redpanda »

Hello gents, right, shifts finished for 4 days, back to trying to sort out the caddy. If all else fails, who knows of a reputable Auto Sparks who has knowledge of Caddies? I live in the Huntingdon area, Buckden.
Regards
Peter
64 split rat
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 64 split rat »

Has the isolation switch been left on all BG caddy’s were fitted with them.