Limp mode, first post

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
irvind
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Limp mode, first post

Post by irvind »

Hi all,

Glow plug light came on tonight once way home and of course had reduced power, is there any particular issue it’s liable to be? Only recently got the van and don’t have a code scanner thingy.

Also, any recommendations for a garage in Banbury to look after it?

Cheers
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: Limp mode, first post

Post by Giddy »

Hi and welcome to the forum. It would be easier for lads to advice, if you could confirm the year and engine of your caddy ;)
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
irvind
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by irvind »

Yeah yeah.. 😉

I thought “I’ll just edit my post”... Oh, got to wait for moderator approval first.... 💤

2013 1.6Tdi
132k miles
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

Same engine and year as mine and I'm sure it was the glow plug that was flashing when it first started limping- EGR valve for me.

2nd limp mode was the dreaded injector fault :oops:
63 plate 1.6tdi startline in reflex silver
Colour coded-Audi s3 alloys-Seat leon seats-Van style roof rails-Needle sweep-cruise control.
RCD330-lowered on kw stx coilovers
More to follow 8)
irvind
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by irvind »

Thanks
I need to get it looked at really. Started it when I got home and the light was off but let’s see how it is in the morning.

Is the EGR valve a big deal? ie expensive...
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of previous post
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

It sounds like you recently obtained the Caddy so may not know if it has had the emission recall done and whether the resulting two year VW emission fix extended warranty is still extant which is important as it applies to things like injectors and the EGR even if there has been a change in owner.

I suggest you track down the VW emission recall checker (google should find it)
Enter your VIN to see if the recall was done and if so check if it was done within the last two years.
If the recall fix was done within the last two years you may be able to get VW to meet some or all of the cost of sorting out your Caddy, so contact a VW garage asap to let they know you have encountered a problem so you do not miss out on items covered by the emission fix warranty.

If the recall work has not been done, or if the Caddy is now beyond the warranty period then sorry you are picking up the bill for whatever needs fixing.

Sadly the 1.6 engine Caddys do have a reputation of suffering from stuck EGRs and injector failures, which are rarely cheap to fix and once one injector fails, other injectors can fail in quick succession.

If you have breakdown cover they may be able to help get you going again.

Good luck - let us know how your get on.
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

£460 supplied and fitted :cry: I remember forum users saying that seemed a bit steep but idk - see what your garage comes in at
Colour coded-Audi s3 alloys-Seat leon seats-Van style roof rails-Needle sweep-cruise control.
More to follow 8)
Baldspeed Racing
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Baldspeed Racing »

Stealth Racing in Southam might be able to get you sorted dude as they take on a lot and not too far away from you.
irvind
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by irvind »

SnoWhite wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:07 am
I suggest you track down the VW emission recall checker (google should find it)

Thanks
The online checker wouldn't work but I spoke to someone at VW who said the work had been carried out on Oct 3rd 2017.
irvind
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by irvind »

Thanks for the replies all!

I've booked it into Herbies in Banbury who seem to specialize in VAG. They're looking at it on Tuesday so will know more then.

In the meantime it started fine today and no warning light.. I just need to do local runs over the weekend.
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

If it flickers back on the turn the engine off and back on,will do you for a while 8)
More to follow 8)
kyle4826
Caddy Fan

Post by kyle4826 »

Sounds like the EGR. Don't quote me on this because I don't know the score with vw commercial, but in the other VW network, if the emissions recall has been carried out, you get an extra 2 years warranty for emmison control items such as the EGR valve from the date of the recall, as a good will gesture.

If there is a fault in the engine management though, they won't carry out the recall untill the faults are rectified.
irvind
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by irvind »

RY_VW wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:15 pm If it flickers back on the turn the engine off and back on,will do you for a while 8)
Good knowledge, thanks!
It’s been fine on all my short runs ever since, of course.. Will see what the garage finds on Tuesday.
irvind
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by irvind »

kyle4826 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:58 pm, you get an extra 2 years warranty for emmison control items such as the EGR valve from the date of the recall, as a good will gesture.
The recall seems to have been done in Oct 2017 so I’ll be out of luck there I guess.
irvind
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by irvind »

So the garage have diagnosed EGR fault but the van has been fine for the last few days.

They've quoted £892 (!) for replacement so I think I'll just be waiting to see if it happens again!