Very fine metal in oil

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
cjscos
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Very fine metal in oil

Post by cjscos »

I am just in the process of replacing the turbo due to failure and I took the sump of to find very fine alloy in the sump oil. I have found the sump had hairline crackers all over it and sharp edges bit no large bits.

Do you think this has damaged the engine?

They are very fine and float to the top of the oil. Would the filter pick these up. They are more like very small specks.

The pick up pipe was clear.

Any thoughts?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Very fine metal in oil

Post by Doc »

If it's just a glitter you might be ok but I'd definitely do an extra couple of oil changes and flush as much of the metal as you can out of the engine.
Even flush the turbo oil feed pipe before you fit the new one, maybe try syringe some oil back into the feed tube then suck it out. Last thing you want to do is destroy a new turbo with debris from the old one.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

I presume you've had a magnet on it? alloy is a lot more forgiving in an engine than steel, as doc says if its glitter you should get away with it, after a full engine rebuild you can also find glitter in the oil which is why you change the oil a few times in the first 100 miles or so, so I wouldn't worry too much at this stage.

A good flush now and another oil change in a few days or around 50 miles and you should be OK but inspect again and go from there.

On a side note, those magnets you get that slip around your filter are good to have although they obviously don't catch alloy lol.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
cjscos
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by cjscos »

Just a update.

I cleaned sump and have found lots of crazy cracking in the alloy sump! I think it must of come from this . I am not sure what has happened to it but now ordered a new one.

My turbo went the other week after 175k but luckily it broke a fin of the inlet and jamed the turbo wheel....I hope
cjscos
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by cjscos »

Does anyone know the part number for a new oil feed pipe on the bks engine?