Help! “Key Not Found”

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
BarnabyAldrick
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Help! “Key Not Found”

Post by BarnabyAldrick »

I got 2 keys with my caddy and one sporadically says “Key Not Found” on the dash after starting the car, and it stalls. What does this mean? Does it need recoding?
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Help! “Key Not Found”

Post by the swan fiend »

Have you tried changing the battery in the fob mate? I’ve occasionally had this issue with my Harley Davidson and it usually does the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

The chip in the key isn't powered, the battery is for the remote but the chips don't tend to go intermittent either. I would suggest something on the van but if the other 2 keys work fine it's a bit strange.
Does it cut out regardless of which way up the key is used?
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
BarnabyAldrick
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by BarnabyAldrick »

Changing the battery didn’t fix it. Still says ‘Key not found’, whichever way up I put it in, and either continues turning the engine over without success, or starts then auto stalls a moment later.

The other key I got seems to work fine.
BarnabyAldrick
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by BarnabyAldrick »

The key that doesn’t start the car (which happily locks and unlocks it) did actually have a rattle inside it though (fixed now though by opening and shutting it). But I wonder if a part came loose?
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Open it carefully and check the chip is still inside, often when loose they end up on the floor which would explain why it starts now and again then cuts out when the bit of fuel left in the engine runs out.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

All my keys and chips are in my workshop unit but I found this pic online which should help,

BarnabyAldrick
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by BarnabyAldrick »

Cheers for the help and pics guys. I’ve opened the fob and this bit appears loose. From the photo above it looks like the immobiliser chip. Should I glue it back in place?

BarnabyAldrick
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by BarnabyAldrick »

Gluing that immobiliser bit back seems to have fixed it!
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

You beat me to it lol, the vws can be temperamental sometimes where the chip is, there is a pick up around the ignition and if its too far away from that it will do what you was experiencing.

I had many a call out for people changing the battery and the key no longer working, half the time I found the chip on the floor where they changed the battery, the rest couldn't be found and they needed a new chip lol.

Yours seems like it's broken, normally they are fully enclosed but if it works and you've glued it in leave it.
BarnabyAldrick
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by BarnabyAldrick »

Thanks Scoobysrt, that's good to know! Glad it's sorted and I didn't lose the chip in the process!