Rust

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
veedubgub
100BHP+

Rust

Post by veedubgub »

just wondering what people do in terms of repainting painting areas that have been treated for corrosion on their caddy.... wheel arches sills etc.

Do people generally get wings/sections completely resprayed following proper rust treatment or just paint touch up? ( depends on the amount of rust i guess)

Also what do you guys do to prevent rust in the first place?

I use a product called ACF-50 on my motorbikes which works really well but needs to be reapplied at regular intervals and only really suits bare metal.
Just after some ideas if i happen to pick up a van that has some rust on the arches
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: Rust

Post by Scoobysrt »

Rust is a disease and it spreads.

Same applies to caddy as all vehicles, a good wax oil underneath and regular cleaning of outside bodywork finishing with a decent polish limits exterior rust.

All rust needs to be taken back to bare metal along with its surrounding area, rust treated with products like genolite then ny pitting filled then there's various ways to tackle it from etch primer to top coat then clear coat or some shops use special coverings like zinc etc primers then coloured primer, top coat etc.

Unless you are absolutely meticulous in removing all rust in the first place it will keep coming back, if you have a choice of a cheaper van with rusty arches or one without but more money always go the non rust option in my opinion. You will forever be chasing rust on an already rusty van.

Bodywork like front wings are best replaced all together if rust is bad.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
veedubgub
100BHP+

Re: Rust

Post by veedubgub »

Cheers for the reply and info.

Will most likely avoid any with rust if possible sounds much easier to deal with prevention rather than have to cure the issue