slave cylinder

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
the67al
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

slave cylinder

Post by the67al »

Hi all, looking like my slave cylinder is on it's way out, clutch pedal lazy to return on my 2.0 tdi 6 speed. have been told the cylinder is in the gearbox, so a big job to replace, around £11-1200 to do, my question is do you have to replace the dmf, clutch etc as well? thanks
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: slave cylinder

Post by Doc »

Unless you're having the slave cylinder changed in central Dubai, you're being ripped off! The part is not expensive, the labour is no more than a day's work for even the least competent mechanic.
I'd expect you get a quality dual mass flywheel, clutch and slave cylinder fitted for a similar cost.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
the67al
100BHP+

Post by the67al »

lol Doc, that was for dmf, clutch and cylinder replacement, labour etc, BUT do you have to replace dmf and clutch if there are no issues with these items as the guy simply said replace all and even then was vague, hasten to say i will not be getting them to do it.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

In my opinion, if you're taking a gearbox off and the DMF and clutch are original, it'd be a good idea to replace the lot.
Even if the DMF and clutch are recent, the slow to return clutch pedal will have caused clutch slip and possibly degradation of the clutch and flywheel.
Sounds expensive but there is considerable labor involved so no point doing just the slave cylinder to have to put the same labor into a DMF and clutch replacement in the near future or even immediately after fitting the slave cylinder to find there's other problems.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
the67al
100BHP+

Post by the67al »

Thank's Doc, i was heading in the direction of replace it all, it is going to a garage on monday to confirm the problem, just hope the pedal keeps returning for a while longer :)
Cabbs
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Cabbs »

That still sounds expensive for for a full clutch kit, dmf and slave cylinder when you can buy the parts for around £450.00. (UK)
If you ain’t competent doing it yourself I’d approach garages and see what the labour charges are if you supply your own parts.
A local garage (Clutch Centre) quoted me £300 labour. Just a thought for you to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kyle4826
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by kyle4826 »

Whilst is out replace the lot. If in 6 months time the clutch goes you are going to be paying the labour again

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Zunus46
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Zunus46 »

The quote they've given you for the job is way too expensive, even if they went with a LUK RepSet DMF Kit plus the slave cilinder. If it is indeed the slave cilinder that has gone bad (has the same problem a few years back), it's a cheap part and with the help of some common tools and basic knowledge you should be able to do the job yourself, as it does not require for you to take the gearbox out. You should have acess just by removing the airbox, battery, battery plate and minor stuff. With the help of a friend you can bleed the system no worries and the van will be up and running as it should. If the clutch still feels good and the DMF is not vibrating or making noise you're good with just the slave cilinder replacement.
the67al
100BHP+

Post by the67al »

cylinder is in gearbox, just hoping it is not the slave cylinder, will find out monday.
Last edited by Giddy on Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
the67al
100BHP+

Post by the67al »

@Cabbs
Thanks, will defo be shopping around if it is slave cylynder.
Last edited by Giddy on Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote
the67al
100BHP+

Post by the67al »

Thankyou giddy for edit, i see now. van being done tomorrow, by the guys that lowered it for me, dmf, clutch, slave etc, around £1100 :( , hey ho, just hope i make it there!
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

Don't feel too bad mate. I was completely ripped off with the same job on my 140 6speed. They charged me 2250 in the end for dmf, clutch, slave cylinder, gearbox casing and labour. Parts were Luk and not Sachs (which I asked for) so I was pretty peeved, but needed the van for work and that was the price. The gearbox housing was genuine new though so around 600 odd but still v expensive job! You could see where the pressure plate was eating away at the gearbox housing. It eventually wore so thin that it created an opening and started to put gearbox oil into the clutch area and leak a few drops onto driveways etc eek!!Image

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

I say ripped off because I also asked for the selector forks to be replaced with the updated steel ones so was also charged for that but I didn't get a straight response when I was asked if it was done (wasn't sure if it already had updated forks inside) so from what he said they were already inside but was still charged for those also. And now I get a shuddering/vibrating when I'm in 5th/6th going uphill with around 30% engine load at around 1250rpm but whatever!

the67al
100BHP+

Post by the67al »

@fluxxy91, oh dear feel for ya mate, well, got in van to drop off , no pedal and no chance of selecting gear, deep joy, being recovered to garage shortly.
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

Fair play does sound like clutch slave tbh. Will be much better when done :) not a bad day to be waiting around at least it's nice and sunny!