Maxi Life tinted windows

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Maxi Life tinted windows

Post by T-Kaddy »

My Caddy has full glass but it's clear. Because I'll be parking up in some strange places with bikes in the back I'd rather have darker glass in the back end. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas for an easy and tidy fix?
Post #3 of my first six out of the way.
Cad4life
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Maxi Life tinted windows

Post by Cad4life »

Hi T-Kaddy,

Welcome to the forum.

Mine is going in for full rear windows tints next week, going with the limo black option, so hoping that does the job.

However having a look around at other ideas it seems others have had their windows vinyl covered and some gone for painting or covering.

The forum is full of great information and inspiration so I’m sure you will find the right option
Ripley55
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Ripley55 »

They’re perfect for keeping prying eyes 👀 out of your Van
I’ve got Limo tint, but sometimes, just sometimes maybe, I wonder if it’s a bit much with regards to visibility ? Rear view mirror, and when turning at a junction 👍
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

Personally, limo tint is too dark for safety for me.

A lesser tint like the privacy OEM tint, with privacy shades is better for me. The mesh of the shades makes it very hard to see in, but allows headlights etc. too show through very well.
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

Thank you for those replies gentlemen (and/or ladies?). My last van was too dark, so don't fancy the Limo thing.
Alexcrushcad
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Alexcrushcad »

I tried to get my Maxi barn door windows tinted the other day. Went back to collect it and it couldn't bs done apparently?
Apparently he called another place and said you couldn't do them because of the curve?

Have you heard anything about this whilst looking into getting yours done?

Thanks
Alex
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

That's bs mate, my mate has aftermarket tint on his rear doors.

My barn doors are factory tinted but at night when the inside light is on everyone can see in so I'm going to either put mirror tint on top (behind) or just blank them off.
I never use the rear view mirror on a van and infact have a dash cam on mine that includes a rear camera so it doesn't matter what the rear windows are like.

You can buy tinting spray if you want an easy and quick DIY.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Alexcrushcad
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Alexcrushcad »

Urgh ffs!
Thank you for your help though.

:roll:
Harvey11
Caddy Fan

Post by Harvey11 »

Mine are tinted, pretty much black and then I’ve got metal panels over the inside so if they pop the window still they can’t get in.

I can’t see out the back at all, I haven’t even got a rear view mirror fitted. I get by just fine driving off my wing mirrors and I’ve been driving vans that way for over 30 years..
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

I carry bikes in mine and the only options for not having them on display (even covered they’ll look obvious) is 80/90% limo tint or curtains.

TBH I don’t find the night visibility a problem, just got used it. As mentioned, many vans have no side glass and a bulkhead anyway. I did go for 80% on rear and 90% on sides which is a small compromise, and I have the reverse camera anyway. Will still probably fit curtains too for camping, reason detailed above 😎.
2017 Blackberry Maxi Life 190TDI 6MT OEM+
Santiago 18” | OE Xenons | Limo tints | Wind deflectors
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Android HU | Focal 2.1+2 audio | Dynamat | 4G WiFi | Wireless phone charge
Build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095
Purplemonsta
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Purplemonsta »

Hi

Looking at similar for mine for the same reasons.
Does anyone do 'blinds' for the rear side windows?
Seen some for the bigger vans at vw shows but now I have a caddy there hasn't been any shows due to covid to check!
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

'Blinds' ?
I have privacy/sun shades.
Sonniboy
https://www.windesa.com/shop/en/windesa ... swagen-vw/
stubevh@yahoo.co.uk
Caddy Fan

Post by stubevh@yahoo.co.uk »

I have factory tint with limo tint over and Van X curtains - never found visibilty an issue

If you don't want to go down the tint route then Van X curtains are a bit of a ballache to fit but are great once in place. Alternatively you could go for removable thermal blinds - they come ready made or they aren't too tricky to make to be fair.
Terms & Conditions Apply

Your Home May Be At Risk If you Set Fire To It.