Android head unit

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
fiolek67
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: Android head unit

Post by fiolek67 »

Any android aftermarket headunit suitable for caddy maxi 2017?
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Fluxxy91 »

I'm pretty sure they're all the same fitment mate so mine would fit it. I would email the xtrons people to double check though :)

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Giddy on Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of previous post
fiolek67
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by fiolek67 »

Let me see if i can get them to reply with my current ride.. stock headunit kinda boring.
j30rts
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by j30rts »

Would these be recommended over a well known brand pioneer/kenwood etc?

Want to replace the standard unit with something with hands free, apple play & DAB
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

Xtrons are well known in my opinion. The unit is also like an android tablet so no restrictions in what you can do whereas the pioneer/Kenwood have limited UI etc.. check out video reviews of both :)

Last edited by Giddy on Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
Dolphino2
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dolphino2 »

fiolek67 wrote:Any android aftermarket headunit suitable for caddy maxi 2017?
Got an xtrons Android HU in my 67 plate caddy maxi. It doesn’t show as being compatible with the newer models as such…but physically fits fine, you’ll just need a wiring loom adapter aswell (xtrons also sell this).

https://xtrons.co.uk/volkswagen-iso-ext ... ble-isomqb
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Pretty much any double din unit will fit, it's a standard size.
The question of a cheapo verses a quality one is just that, a well known brand will give you better quality sound if playing through better speakers and even amps but if you're just swapping the head unit and leaving the speakers you probably won't tell a lot of difference at regular sound levels.
Cheaper units will have lesser quality on board amps so often distort at higher noise levels but again for normal listening pleasure you may not hear much of a difference.

Other things to consider are quality of reception on the radio for example, something like my kenwood was picking up dab before I even plugged the ariel in, the oem unit wouldn't do that, a mate with a cheap android in his car regularly has to wait for his radio to find signal in certain parts of my area whereas mine plays uninterrupted,

You also might want to consider after sales help in case anything goes wrong, an eBay seller is unlikely to offer any sort of service or repair for example whereas a well known brand will often just swap it for you,

Looking round at some deals to be had you can set yourself up with a very well specced unit from one of the big names for maybe £300-500 which can be twice the price of a real cheapo unit so you need to decide if sound quality, lifelong usage and after sales support etc is more important than just having a functioning unit that will never sound as good and might need replacing in 18 months time.

You get what you pay for with sound systems as always has been the case.
A transit connect does everything a caddy does but a caddy is obviously a lot better why skimp now.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
PaddytheCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by PaddytheCaddy »

I have a 2017 Caddy with a OEM DAB radio with screen.

I’d like to upgrade to a unit which has sat nav but will still support the display for the rear parking sensors.

Can anyone recommend any OEM or aftermarket unit under the £300 mark?
Fatbloke-Dim
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Fatbloke-Dim »

I got me an Extrons unt. Crap. DAB radio' s very cranky, and the satnav app ,well it kinda worked for a little while, but now crashes and makes a gong sound when you try to use it, and presents a dialogue box of Chinoise garbage . Manual may as well not be supplied , may have some use a a firelighter, and nowt else. It does , however , display the input from my cheapo Ebay wireless reversing camera. MP3 player works reasonably, providing SD card is formatted FAT32 , not NTFS. Still would'nt have another thrown at me. And as for after sales support? Hah ! Don't bother.......
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

Fluxxy91 I appreciate yourt efforts on my behalf, thank you Sir. Still undecided as to what to go for but my Caddy has been on loan to son-in-law since I was last on here.
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

@Fatbloke-Dim
Do you have the dab antenna installed? Also I would highly recommend getting on the app store and using Waze for sat nav instead of the preinstalled crapps. Also recommend getting Spotify/YouTube music or whatever streaming service you use and downloading that app onto it. They are literally my 2 main used apps and they link in with eachother which is great. Yours may need an update. If you email them with the model that you have they will send the update files to you to stick on a USB stick and plug into the unit :)

Last edited by Giddy on Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

@T-Kaddy
No problems. As much as I can't speak for the OEM units, I honestly can't speak any higher of the unit that I've got. It does so well. I'd definitely do a lil video if ya like mate.

Last edited by Giddy on Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Love my kenwood with built in garmin sat nav, once you factor in paying for a mobile phone data contract to use sat navigation and Spotify etc on the move the kenwood pays for itself quite quickly and you also have superior quality.

Kenwood make a unit for vws that look oem and most of them allow you to use the reversing graphics with an adaptor but even better they support reversing cameras.

The beeps on your sensors don't come from the head unit and will still beep regardless of head unit fitted.

There are also other top brands available like alpine, Sony and pioneer.

There is also the oem sat nav unit.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

Yes I guess that is one drawback. You could download offline maps for Google maps to use if you have no data but I get 40gb a month and that's more than enough for me. I hardly use any data, Waze doesn't use a lot at all and the songs I listen to are mostly downloaded anyway so never really use that much data with music either but depending on your usage case and listening habits you could need more data than you already have etc. Of course you can always get the carplay adapter also and just play stuff that's on your phone like you usually would when you're out and about. For me with working in London it really helps having the live traffic updates on Waze and also live police locations when they're set up speed gunning etc!

T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

@Fluxxy91, at last I've taken the plunge, and taken your advice! I've gone with the Xtrons PQS80UNV with dvd player. I was after a unit with loads of memory after having issues loading all my favourite 3rd party apps on my old Joying thingy.
I've had it half way in the car and the bits and bobs seemed to work fine, so I decided to stick in my old rear view Joying camera. What a pig that was getting the wiring through the roof space but mainly the camera feeds up to the top of the tailgate. Aargh!!

Anyway I seek your advice again before I finish as I had to stall waiting for a double Fakra aerial adaptor which has just arrived. Can you clarify what needs to be done with the pink "BRAKE-IN" and black/red "REVERSE-IN" cables shown below? I understand that the "Camera B+" will connect to the short red pigtail on the rear cam RCA cable (yellow plug) but just not 100% sure of these others.
Fluxxy91querycaddy2k.jpg