Android head unit

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Android head unit

Post by Fluxxy91 »

@T-Kaddy
Hello mate. The brake in wire i believe is supposed to be connected to the handbrake switch so that it stops you watching videos etc unless the handbrake is on. I just grounded it to the back of the radio itself (there was a screw I just put it under and screwed back on) meaning you can watch videos whenever. It's a different model than mine so definitely double check the install manual to make sure that's the one and double check it all before finally screwing it in and putting the dash fascia back on.
The one I have connects to the can system and can actually read vehicle data so I didn't need to do anything with the reverse wire as it gets that info from the ECU already anyway and activates the reverse cam automatically. You can turn off the setting from the radio itself in a special menu. I would email xtrons and ask them for the latest MCU file and software update even if it's new because sometimes they have older firmware on them and is worth doing.
Let me know how you get on!Image

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Giddy on Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
ambitious_converter
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by ambitious_converter »

I have a caddy trendline which comes with factory rear parking sensors and Bluetooth connection etc. The bluetooth connects to my phone automatically when I turn the ignition and is very handy for playing music and displays the phone info on the dash. I have been debating on installing a rcd330 unit to get apple car play. I was just wondering would this be compatible with my parking sensors and would the phone info still appear on the dash.
Also is there additional wiring and harness needed or is it plug and play?
Onto caddy number 2. 2011 caddy in metallic blue. Early days of getting this one to my standard.
Inside camper conversion for mtb and surfing trips.
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

Hey dude. I don't have parking sensors on mine so can't help with that one but I'm sure that system doesn't use the radio??? You can hook a reverse camera up to it for sure though. With the phone Bluetooth, it does have some connectivity with the dashboard. For instance if I play the radio on the head unit, the dashboard will show the radio station and name etc etc. But I'm not sure if it shows the info with A2DP. Im just in a job at the mo and can check afterwards but tbh I just use YouTube music/Spotify on the radio itself and have my playlists downloaded to it although I still use the hotspot on my phone to keep the traffic/roadworks/police data updated and I keep my Bluetooth off. Works really well and can control music whilst inside Waze with the apps connected. For me I see it as being much more convenient that relying on the phone for music via Bluetooth.

Last edited by Giddy on Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

Also you can get a carplay adapter for the xtrons units, but again I have 0 need for it because of the way I use it. It could be the case that It shows phone data when used through carplay, who knows! Maybe worth shooting xtrons an email to see if they know, maybe they'll have no idea!

ambitious_converter
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by ambitious_converter »

Thanks I think I’ll add the rdc330 next on the list of mods to do.
Onto caddy number 2. 2011 caddy in metallic blue. Early days of getting this one to my standard.
Inside camper conversion for mtb and surfing trips.
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

Okay I've done a bit of playing around and can see that if you connect via A2DP, it shows up as 'Other Media' on the dashboard. Pressing the up and down buttons on the right stalk goes to the next/previous songs. With the radio on, it shows the frequency that the head unit is set to and the right stalk goes to next/previous saved station. With audio data up on the dash, it shows volume changes also. YouTube music and Spotify don't connect with the dash or come up with any media options so is all controlled through the touchscreen/Google assist. I haven't got carplay so don't know if that would show any info on the dash. There is also a setting I found called 'Parking radar display' so may show distance from each parking sensor. I don't have them so can't check this sorry.ImageImageImageImageImage

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

The rear parking sensors are independent of the radio, the radar and beeps still work even with no radio installed, if you're adding a rear camera I wouldnt worry too much about getting the radar display on screen.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

@Fluxxy91, once again thank you for the help buddy.

It's in, it's working but I think my old camera is stuffed, will try a new one some time. Still a couple of quirks (so far) you may be able to help me with (worra pest!).

The car interface shows the wrong door open, right should be left - any clues?
The NAVI button and the Navi icon both start up the pre-installed Torque app! - any ideas?
wrongdooropen.jpg
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

T-Kaddy wrote:@Fluxxy91, once again thank you for the help buddy.

It's in, it's working but I think my old camera is stuffed, will try a new one some time. Still a couple of quirks (so far) you may be able to help me with (worra pest!).

The NAVI button and the Navi icon both start up the pre-installed Torque app! - any ideas?
wrongdooropen.jpg
Yes! You have to go into the system settings. It's protected by a code. I can't remember what it is I've got it in an email from xtrons somewhere. I had to swap the doors over on mine too!! Will have a look and post here when I find it. Did you email xtrons for the latest firmware & MCU files?

Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

T-Kaddy wrote:@Fluxxy91, once again thank you for the help buddy.

wrongdooropen.jpg
The menu you want us called factory setting/settings. I believe the code is 126 off the top of my head but I could be wrong. Try it and if it's wrong I'll dig through my emails.

T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

@Fluxxy91
Ah brilliant, ta much, that worked and so did the fixes. So far I'm very happy with it.
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Android head unit OBD2 help

Post by T-Kaddy »

Oh heck, I'm back again!
I bought the Xtrons OBD2 adaptor to go with the new HU, the one with the on/off switch as it was the smallest and I thought the fusebox cover would go on with it permanently plugged in. Wrong! Anyway, easy enough to cut a small hole in the plastic so I can
use it with Torque Pro.

However, when I do plug it into the port all I get is a red led and no comms. The head unit's Blutooth app sees it as OBD2, although not reliably, but just will not connect. I've tried it loads of times without success. Actually my mobe won't connect to it either. So I'm just wondering if anyone else in Caddyland has had this issue. I have also tried 3 different Amazon cheapo dongles and none of them work, although two do work in the wife's 2018 Golf. Any ideas?

By the way, the phone does work properly hands free through the HU for calls, and the laptop with VCDS connects without issues with its own dongle.
Francis0990
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Francis0990 »

This I'm going to go for the AliExpress Android hopefully it holds up very reasonable price think I might be able to get a second hand one two
lubonaga
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by lubonaga »

@T-Kaddy
Did you buy any additional cable to connect Xtrons PQS80UNV ? On Aliexpress is written to buy AK/VW/ISOMQB ISO extension cable if I want to fit on Caddy 2017.
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

Hi @lubonaga
No, all I did was select the head unit for a Caddy and it came with the correct cables. There were two in the box but I only needed one of them. Good luck.