VCDS worth it for 2 motors?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

VCDS worth it for 2 motors?

Post by T-Kaddy »

I'm a new (2014 model) Caddy Maxi Life owner and wifey has 2018 Golf. Both are 1.6 tdi. Daughter has a Kodiak 2l tdi. So I fit the 3-VIN user profile perfectly. Is the cost of VCDS worth it for a bit of a dabbler? (I do like gadgets) :) I'm used to Torque Pro and a Chinese hand-held but never got near the ECU with it on my previous van.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: VCDS worth it for 2 motors?

Post by Scoobysrt »

It depends what you want to dabble with.

If you are capable of repairing faults most would go to a garage for then yes it's worth it otherwise its probably not worth it to find a fault you will have a garage repair for you.

If you just want to mess around with some stuff like coming home lights etc there are other units out there and quite a few threads on here talking about what they are capable of.

If the money isn't an issue just go for it and have the facility to do most things you would want.

Got to be honest though I bought the top of the line version with unlimited vins and even the extra leads and it's still sat in its box lol.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

Ta for that Scoobysrt, I think I'll get it just in case. I had a couple of issues with my Fiat that I could have fettled if the Chinese thing had spotted the fault but ended up paying someone else to do it, just as you say. And with three potential trouble spots for some years to come I don't mind if it isn't used for a while :)
D_EDD
100BHP+

Post by D_EDD »

I've just bought the obdeleven pro seams to do all the long coding you would want and there's no tie to how many cars you put on it.
Was having a play on a mates transporter, and added needle sweep and audio lock and unlock confirmation, he wasn't impressed by the last one but it did brighten up the day every time he went to his van

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kyle4826
Caddy Fan

Post by kyle4826 »

For just messing about you are better off with obd eleven I would say. I use it at work for basic stuff, brake pad replacement etc little adaption tweaks. I also have VCDS. But that only comes out when I feel like a need to get a bit more in depth

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

Nice one D_EDD :D
Cheers kyle4826. Good to have a few opinions. I'll let next month's bank account decide.
KyleAshdown
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by KyleAshdown »

What are the differences between obdeleven and vcds for things like coding mk4 lights on a mk3 or coding new injectors? Can all this be done on obdeleven for example please?
DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

Hi Kyle, obdeleven will not code mk4 tail lights I presume you are retro fitting to your mk3.
I have this software and had to pay a chap over in hemel Hempstead as this retro fit requires vag can pro to communicate with your vans bcm and to perform the deletion of the drivers side reverse light. Vcds I'm confidently sure can not do this either unless your van is the model before the mk3 I'm lead to believe.
Obdeleven is great to have as it sits nicely in your glove box and works with both android and iPhones now. Had mine for around 5.5 years to do just minor tweaks and as of yesterday manged to code in the new rear ops moduke so I get the reverse graphics up on my rns315 headunit which is a nice touch. I'm also sure yiu can code injectors with is tool to. There are a few posts on YouTube and the obdeleven forum I believe mate.
Hope this helps you out some what.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

KyleAshdown
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by KyleAshdown »

Thanks! This tells me all i need to know. Obddleven will likely do 99% of what i need then and VCDS can’t do the 1% anyway.