Tailgate lock on WAV

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Tailgate lock on WAV

Post by T-Kaddy »

Well after a week or so thinking about it I've just removed the wheelchair access ramp. All good, parts safely stored for potential sale, and then:
I tidied up my tools and closed the tailgate ready for a cuppa, pressed the remote locking button and - SILENCE! Back door didn't lock. I pulled on the handle to make sure it was properly closed and up it came! Tried a few more times, same result and no "clunk" when slamming the door. A few seconds later I twigged that the catch for the lock is now mounted on the folded underside of the ramp laid safely in the garage!!! B@ll@x!

So today's dozy newbie question to the Experts on here is, how can I re-instate the rear door lock without putting the ramp back?
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Re: Tailgate lock on WAV

Post by dan@biali »

Whats your plan for reinstating the floor where the ramp was? I assume the floor and the structure where the catch normally lives was cut out to fit the ramp. Temporarily I guess you could bolt a flat piece of steel across the gap and bolt the catch to that.
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

Hi dan@biali, thanks for the comment.
I don't intend to touch the floor. And yes, the whole central area about 800mm wide disappeared for the dropped floor. I want to leave that anyway for extra headroom. I'll be carrying bikes and using the back for changing so the extra depth/height is spot on. Looking at it I think you've nailed it with the flat bar idea unless anyone knows of a quick fix. I can probably mount it where the safety strap mounts for the wheelchair remain, they are 50x20 steel tube stubs standing vertically about 80mm on each side and have the adjustable rubber door stops mounted on them. I might try a fixture first then maybe some sort of quick release to drop it down or remove it.
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

By the way Dan, just had a lookee at your Caddy - speechless! 8)
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

This is what I've had to re-instate to get the back door shut and lockable!Image

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Surf Caddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Surf Caddy »

Hi, I've got exactly same alteration on my caddy. Ended up just bolting the panel in place... sometimes the boot doesn't fully catch.

I'm assuming you've got a split bumper with yours too? Have you got any experience with replacing it for an original 'full' bumper? I ask because looking to do the same

Thanks
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

Hiya Surf Caddy,. Sorry for delayed response, broken leg stalledf my life. I do have the split bumper but I've shied away from trying to normalise the thing. And I almost needed the wheelchair access myself anyway! :lol: