Caddy struggling to start.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
flat out 90
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Caddy struggling to start.

Post by flat out 90 »

Hi all so I plan to put a vrs engine in my 2004 sdi caddy soon but has the van is in use every day I need to just get to the bottom of a little issue.
Sometimes it takes a lot of turning over to start it. It fires to start then stalls. And takes a lot of turning over to start it again. Iv replaced the fuel filter with no luck. It’s almost like you have to bled it up again. Iv looked everywhere and can’t find any cracking in pipes or leaks not even from the pump on the cylinder head.

Is there a one way valve anywhere that stops fuel from running back to the tank. Because if you press the accelerator pedal has hard has you can while cranking it will fire every time but I don’t like doing this to a cold engine.
At the same time it started doing this the Rev counter stopped working untill you give it a little Rev. It’s probably unrelated and just another issue.
Vw caddy under modification. :)
2 old audi’s still under construction :D
If it’s not modified it soon will be. :lol:
oem gud but modified is even better 8)
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Caddy struggling to start.

Post by Doc »

You might have a couple of problems.
The rev counter problem might be a failed engine speed sensor.
The lazy starting is often caused by cylinder compression pushing fuel back to the tank and thus starving the fuel system on the next start.
If you turn the ignition on for thirty seconds and then off for two a few times before turning over the engine, you'll give the in tank pump a chance to refill the system.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
flat out 90
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by flat out 90 »

O right thanks for the information I’ll give that a check next time I start it.
shanky887614
Hyper Poster

Post by shanky887614 »

it can also be bad injector seals causing this, i had this a couple years ago, if you have vcds check injector deviations if the values are higher than 1/1.5 then chances are the seals are bad if they are 2.99 they are bad

does the engine sound like its turning over slow, these ecu's have a minimum rotation speed before they will inject fuel

Sent from my ASUS_Z01KDA using Tapatalk

flat out 90
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by flat out 90 »

I do have vcds I’ll have a look later and no the engine turns over at what I would say is a normal speed.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Is it diesel? Check heater plugs, you could really do with someone that has vcds.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
lscott141
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by lscott141 »

Had this issue on a different van (fiat) and it turned out to be the check valve in my low pressure fuel pump. Was an older van so just fitted a check valve in the fuel line. Cheaper fix than a new pump anyway...
flat out 90
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by flat out 90 »

Thank you for all your advise iv got a gud plan of where to start now.
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

[mention]flat out 90 [/mention] not sure if you know or not mate but the vrs engine is a little more tricky to get into the caddy I know w few lads who had issues fitting them. Most people use the mk4 golf instead pd130/pd150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flat out 90
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by flat out 90 »

Thanks for mentioning it. Ye I have seen the remarks your on about. Iv got a vrs set up laying around that I know was a really strong engine. Got the loom ecu and everything.
Last edited by Giddy on Mon May 03, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of previous post
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

[mention]flat out 90 [/mention] I guess as long as you have the donor car you should be alright. I know when I looked into it was easier going for the mk4 golf so that’s what I’ve got now pd130 set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk