1.6TDI oil leak

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Chris121
Caddy2k Groupie

1.6TDI oil leak

Post by Chris121 »

Hi guys,
I have a 2014 caddy 1.6TDI maxi with 142.000miles and it has a slight oil leak from behind the upper part of engine. Picture below.

I have driven a 1000km recently and I’m not losing a lot of oil.. but it’s differently coming from somewhere.
My mechanic said he had a quick look and could be coming from the camshaft cover gasket or the camshaft seal.. iv had a look around the rear of the camshaft cover and couldn’t see any leaks, although it was a quick look..

any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Giddy on Tue May 04, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited the picture links
kyle4826
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: 1.6TDI oil leak

Post by kyle4826 »

Give it a good clean off and and a decent road test then have another look and try pin point it

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I looked at a caddy last week where a guy had quite a bit of oil around the rocker cover and dripping down the back.
I suggested he clean it off with hot wash, dry it and get some carb cleaner on the bad build-ups. That should make it a lot easier to identify the leak source.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Chris121
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Chris121 »

@kyle4826 @Doc
Cheers for the reply, I have tried to clean it but it’s really hard to get in there with my hand or even a small brush. I have had a really good look but can’t see where it’s coming from.
Last edited by Giddy on Tue May 04, 2021 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quores
kyle4826
Caddy Fan

Post by kyle4826 »

@Chris121
Use some brake cleaner works a treat

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Giddy on Tue May 04, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote
Cabbs
Hyper Poster

1.6TDI oil leak

Post by Cabbs »

[mention]Chris121 [/mention]

Hey dude.

As Doc suggested use a tin of carb cleaner or brake cleaner and give the soiled area a good squirt if you can get in there. Then jet wash it. That should shift the build up and give you a better look on the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris121
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Chris121 »

Cheers I’ll give it a try.

One question: most of the oil seems to be sitting on top of this component.. arrowed below in the picture, what is it? Looks to be below the exhaust manifold if I’m correct.

Also the hose just next to it.

https://ibb.co/Lg08C5M

Cheers
Chris121
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Chris121 »

Cabbs wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:23 pm [mention]Chris121 [/mention]

Hey dude.

As Doc suggested use a tin of carb cleaner or brake cleaner and give the soiled area a good squirt if you can get in there. Then jet wash it. That should shift the build up and give you a better look on the area.

Cheers guys I’ll give it a look
Cabbs
Hyper Poster

1.6TDI oil leak

Post by Cabbs »

[mention]Chris121 [/mention]

Looks like the EGR Cooler to me. Could be wrong though. I’m sure someone will comment soon.

Edited.

Just googled the engine and from what I can see it looks like an oil cooler of some sort. Maybe the seals have gone on that. Get it cleaned off and you’ll have a better idea where it’s coming from.

Chris121
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Chris121 »

Cabbs wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:23 am [mention]Chris121 [/mention]

Looks like the EGR Cooler to me. Could be wrong though. I’m sure someone will comment soon.

Edited.

Just googled the engine and from what I can see it looks like an oil cooler of some sort. Maybe the seals have gone on that. Get it cleaned off and you’ll have a better idea where it’s coming from.

Cheers, I know there’s a oil cooler on the front of the engine ( I think ). I had a search online a found a engine block picture, I have highlighted the area, definitely looks like some kind of cooler. Leak looks like it’s coming from just above or around that area where most of the oil is leaking from. Anyway will be updating as soon as I clean and know more.

https://ibb.co/TPb14R3
Chris121
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Chris121 »

Cabbs wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:23 am [mention]Chris121 [/mention]

Edited.

Pretty sure it’s EGR cooler just had a look. You were right in the beginning. Could it be the head gasket? Oil dip stick is fine, no sludge.. coolant levels are fine etc. I understand it’s rare for external oil leaks from head gasket.
Cabbs
Hyper Poster

Post by Cabbs »

I wouldn’t of thought so dude. Telltale signs of the head gasket are the usual gunky s&@t in the oil cap and expansion tank. You really need to get it cleaned up and go from there. It’s the first thing a garage will do anyhow to diagnose a problem so you might save yourself a small fortune if it’s something easily replaceable.