Diy lowering or a garage job?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Wingnut84
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Diy lowering or a garage job?

Post by Wingnut84 »

Hi guys/gals

I've lowered cars in the past by replacing springs but I've never done coilovers or an axel flip kit.

Is it much more complicated to set the ride height and get everything aligned? I've seen people having issues with the rear wheels not sitting central in the arch.

I've watched a few videos on YouTube but I'm yet to come across any that go into detail. It's more before and after.

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I'm a new member so don't have full access yet.

Thanks Mike
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Diy lowering or a garage job?

Post by the swan fiend »

I suppose it depends on your skill set. Personally, I’d take it to a garage but a few people have done it themselves.
As far as I’m aware, setting the ride height on coilovers is just turning the collars up or down. With the rear, not all vans suffer from the wheel not sitting central in the arch, but generally, if you go very low, that’s when the issue will arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Wingnut84
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wingnut84 »

Thanks for the reply.
It's the rear that's got me questioning myself really but if issues only tend to happen when going super low I should be ok as I don't plan on dropping it on the deck. I use the van for fishing so it still needs to be able to get down bumpy tracks.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Fair dos mate. If you did find you had an issue with the rear wheels, you can always fit centralising plates later on. Reflex Auto Designs make them amongst others.
Darkside developments make a low/super low kit that solves the issue without the need for plates I believe.

Wingnut84
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wingnut84 »

I'll bare that in mind, thanks.
Are their any coilovers kits to avoid that you know off? Ie build quality/reliability.
I've been looking at the stance+ kits on ebay for around £300 and to be honest that's about as much as I can stretch to on my budget.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

I’d say the ones to avoid are the no name ebay ones. A few lads have used the stance kit on their vans. You do occasionally hear of some reporting knocking sounds or upgrading and noticing a big improvement in ride quality, but I don’t recall hearing of anything disastrous. Have a read through some threads and do your research first.

If you can maybe wait and save up more, I’d recommend the STx kit, it’s made by KW and is the low end of the top end stuff if you get me. I have it and I rate it. It’s well regarded on here.

Wingnut84
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wingnut84 »

Thanks buddy I'll look into those as well. I'm in no rush to get bits done. I've only just bought the van so I'm just planning it all and pricing up at the moment. I'm hoping to start bits in June once I've had the timing belt done in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for all the info and speedy replies it's appreciated
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

No worries mate. Yeah timing belt definitely more important than lowering!

Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

I’m keeping an eye on Dan Chambers YouTube channel to watch him do it :D
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
Wingnut84
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wingnut84 »

Thanks for that papa bear, I'll have a look at his channel 👍🏻
Handyandy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Handyandy »

I fitted the TA Technic coilovers which i bought from ebay the coilovers themselves were easy enough to fit although it's a very firm ride i did tackle the rear axle flip i was a bit cautious at first because i have never done it before so it took me all day. I dropped the rear end to the 2nd to last hole so it's not at it's lowest and the wheel still looks central to the arch
Beluga blue caddy remapped to 145ish side window and bonnet deflector lowered and 18" calibre rims on 225/40/18
Wingnut84
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wingnut84 »

Thanks handyandy, I think I'll have a go at it and just give my self plenty of time. At the end of the day if I'm not happy with it, I can put the standard kit back on and take it to a garage.
kyle4826
Caddy Fan

Post by kyle4826 »

I have fitted the stance kit. Was £300 direct from them. I love the way it drives now. Bear in mind this kit doesn't come with instructions, it's the first time I have done the axel flip and i could see it being a struggle especially doing it on the drive. There was a couple of times where I needed that extra pair of hands.

As for the fronts, just like changing a normal strut. What I would recommend though is fitting new top mounts at the same time

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Wingnut84
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wingnut84 »

Thats spot on mate, thanks. I was going to do the top mounts anyway as I don't see the point in spending all this money and using the old ones.
Last edited by Giddy on Mon May 10, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
Baldspeed Racing
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Baldspeed Racing »

totally possible at home if you have the right tools for the job and a spare pair of hands. I did all of mine away from the ramp, it was hard going and kinda wish I did use the ramp here at work but furloughed at the time