Diy lowering or a garage job?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Wingnut84
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Diy lowering or a garage job?

Post by Wingnut84 »

Thanks for all of the replies lads, from what your saying I feel its a job I can take on my self. when I get all of the bits I'll do a post and let you know how I got on.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

The rear is really really easy, im pretty sure anyone even without experience can do it. Just make sure you understand where and which way round the plates go and it's all easy.

The front has potential to give you big problems however, it's all about getting the strut out of the hub carrier, I spent hours getting mine out and I know what I'm doing and have the right tools, mine is a clean 2016, I can imagine some vans giving more problems with seized bolts etc.

Its still very very doable, I did mine on the drive at home.

Make sure you only slightly nip any fasteners using a bush then fully tighten once the van is sat back on the ground. Tightening them while the wheels are in the air will put strain on them otherwise.

The front struts have a tab that fits in a slot, make sure the tabs on the new struts are fully seated properly.

Although people say its not nessacary I used spring compressors on the front to make getting the oem struts out easier.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Wingnut84
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wingnut84 »

Thanks scoobysrt, some good tips there. I'm just waiting for the coilovers to come back into stock, then it's game on 👍🏻
Bigdaz
Caddy Fan

Post by Bigdaz »

I’m sure there plenty of helpful people on here that would be willing to lend a hand I’d be happy to help you out mate ware in the country are you
Fast cars and dirty women or is it fast women and dirty cars
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

He's in Derby I think, we've quite a few over that way, im near buxton so not a million miles away if you get really stuck.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Wingnut84
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wingnut84 »

Sorry guys, I broke my phone so I've only just seen your replies.
I live in Derby Bigdaz, I've bought the stance+ kit now and some new top mounts I'm just waiting on a free weekend to get it sorted. The only thing I've not bought is wobble blocks.
DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

Hi wingnut I bought my first caddy in September 2019 for fishing like yourself and lowered it on stance plus coilovers and rear flip kit with centralising plates.
I can't comment on fitting as I'm glad i got a garage to do the work which the said was an absolute sh## and didn't want to do another van again haha Image.
On the driving front I've got to admit that as expected the van felt alot firmer but was abit of a scrapper on some of the tracks us anglers have to drive down. I liked the way it sat on 17" sportline alloys with 15mm spacers but if I'm being honest that was the only real positive.
Lasted 2 months after I sold it that I bought a mk3 model this time. This one is staying stock height as its a much more comfortable van to drive in my experience after have 2 almost back to back.
Enjoy the van whatever route you go down mate.
Pics are of my first vanImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Wingnut84
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wingnut84 »

Thanks for that info DW2207 fortunately the lake I've just moved onto had decent access and plenty of targets for me to go for, so I'm not to worried about that as I'll be on it for at least a couple of years :D
Wingnut84
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wingnut84 »

So I finally got round to fitting the stance kit at the weekend. The back were easy but as suggested the fronts took me the best part of a day to get out. I had to do it without removing the hub as the 12 point socket I ordered didn't turn up. The rear axel looks like it moves side to side in the mirror would this be sorted with wobble blocks and polly bushes? ImageImage

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Shelby13
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Shelby13 »

Wahou this colours red with the black rims are very cool! nice mate
Last edited by Doc on Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
Wingnut84
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wingnut84 »

Thanks Shelby13