Dpf. Thoughts

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Vag wag
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Dpf. Thoughts

Post by Vag wag »

So..
I'm seeing many fleets using diesel vans and trucks,
With dpf fitted
BG Tesco ,Sainsbury's ,driving instructors..
There must be thousands in every town..

that only do short and stop/start journeys..
Vw recommend that,
if you only do short trips..buy a petrol..

How do fleets cope with dpf issues.. :?
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Re: Dpf. Thoughts

Post by the swan fiend »

You have a point. Maybe they’re offloading them before any issues may arise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Have you seen how these delivery drivers drive?!? Lol they will be cleared out on a good 70moh thrash through a 30mph zone.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
totty79
200BHP+

Post by totty79 »

It may help that their stops are brief and they therefore wont fully cool.
Active regens will be attempted a few times before throwing an error, and they bring it up to burn off temps pretty quickly.
Leeoncupra
Caddy Fan

Post by Leeoncupra »

Scoobysrt wrote:Have you seen how these delivery drivers drive?!? Lol they will be cleared out on a good 70moh thrash through a 30mph zone.
Haha hit the nail on the head there

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lapiz blue pd130 swap with rotiform wheels đź‘Šđź‘Ť
Cabbs
Hyper Poster

Dpf. Thoughts

Post by Cabbs »

I guess the like of courier drivers, multi-drop and the likes will drive like there Ass is on fire so dpf problems won’t be an issues but the likes of Tesco, Ocado, Morrison’s, Sainsbury’s definitely don’t.
Tesco run on a system called Lightfoot which monitors your driving progress. The lighter your foot the higher your score. High scores give prizes etc. That’s the same with all the supermarket online delivery vehicles so heavy foot drivers are a thing of the past in the supermarket vehicles. I’ve worked in this industry a good while now and haven’t seen or heard of any Dpf problems as of yet. But again they don’t keep there vehicles on fleet long enough for these problems to arise. I guess the second owner might pick up these issues.

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

You should let the drivers around here know that cabbs lol, Iceland go like absolute lunatics down our road, avocado and morrisons close behind, our sainsburys to fair are very good and tesco don't seem to speed but do drive like a holes.
This points system sounds a good incentive.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
totty79
200BHP+

Post by totty79 »

I'm not convinced that thrashing burns off soot from the DPF on all vehicles even though some early systems relied on passive burn off.
I read somewhere about tests on a 1.6tdi, I think it was in a skoda, where they monitored exhaust temps and couldn't get it hot enough to burn off no matter how they drove it, it only got hot enough when the car started an active regen.
I can't be certain that they got it right but it fits with my experience, my 1.6tdi will often start an active regen right when you think why the hell is it doing it now after 2 hours on the motorway.
Cabbs
Hyper Poster

Post by Cabbs »

[mention]Scoobysrt [/mention]

I can believe it with Iceland mate as they have no speed restriction systems in place. Tesco I work for and they are very strict. Ocado and Morrison’s run out of the same depot and they were once strict on drivers policies. Same with Asda too. I know with Tesco your weekly driver rate has to be above 95% or your in for a roasting. Lol. I can’t really speak
For the others but I do know they have a system in place but it may not be affective as the others.

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

As far as I’m aware. Lewis Hamilton moonlights as our local DHL driver

Rescue me from the swans in me
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

:lol:
Its when they chew the grass up outside that really irks me.
Driving down pavements and blocking them a very close second.

Before we turn this into a delivery driver roast thread,
My dad was told by main dealer for his new transit custom, that only goes round the block once every couple of months since lockdown, to leave it ticking over on the drive until warm then floor it down the local bypass and back, he's over 70 so he's never done that, it's never been over 50mph lol.
When lockdown is fully over he and my mother will start going to see my sister a few times a year again down in Hereford (3h+ drive) which will give it a good run.

My caddy goes into regen on a faily regular basis, I do 1-5 mile runs, sometimes a couple of times a day and sometimes it doesn't go out for a week. It doesn't seem to make it come on if it gets some welly infact I've only ever noticed it after I've been quite slovenly especially on a cold day.