Intercooler

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
bigdee181
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Intercooler

Post by bigdee181 »

Good morning. When it gets to intercoolers does a bigger surface or thicker core help more to cool the. air? So, is the tdi intercooler better than say 2 audi tt intercoolers put together? Which one will give better performance? Thanks and have a Caddy day

Sent from my STK-L22 using Tapatalk

DC10CAD
Caddy Fan

Re: Intercooler

Post by DC10CAD »

I would advise to speak to someone like airtec get a intercooler for your spec rather than trying to merge to intercoolers into one!, if not then do some research on intercoolers etc as its a very long write up to explain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Its all about flow rate, a bigger surface area cools quicker/more efficiently but you also need it thick enough to have the flow rate needed not to strangle the engine.
If everything is standard and you only change the ic with the same flow rates you will get better cooling on a bigger ic than a thicker one.
If you don't take flow rate into consideration you will get more lag on a bigger ic than a thicker one that said, even taking flow into consideration, if you go to extremes the lag will get longer with a bigger ic than a thicker one.
Its quite an involved and technical process to be honest.

Unless you really have to use 2 or more ics a single one is preferred but i think multiple ones is a reasonable way to increase surface area whilst keeping lag a bit lower. Again, it's very much a science. I think when using multiple units they need to have more flow rate but I'm not sure, I've not really done much with multiple ics, I know my impreza didn't like 2 top mounts as much as a single front mount.

Its also important to note changing your ic for different cooling and/or flow rates will most likely impact your map, often at the very least your fueling will need to be changed but depending on how far you go you may need to change some of your sensors etc as well and of course more air in needs bigger filters and means more air out so bigger exhaust.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
DC10CAD
Caddy Fan

Post by DC10CAD »

Well said & explained scooby im not good a eriting up techy things but keeping it short & understandable lol
Nelson w124
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Nelson w124 »

Intercooler Audi S3 265hp full aluminiun. The good option.
bigdee181
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by bigdee181 »

Thanks for the replies. I am not trying to combine the ic's. I am just trying to figure out if the 2 tt ic's would work better that the stock tdi ic. There is a 1.8t going into my caddy. Thats why I am asking the question.

Sent from my STK-L22 using Tapatalk

Sean1066
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Sean1066 »

I have an airtec intercooler it’s full aluminium. It works perfect for me with my set up
Caddy maxi 3.2 VR6 EX BG

My build thread
https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=36851
Peperito
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Post by Peperito »

Hi friend wich engine have you got? A lot of Caddy have front intercooler with good size...