2011 Ex BG 1.6TDI Caddy not cranking over

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
AndyBa
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

2011 Ex BG 1.6TDI Caddy not cranking over

Post by AndyBa »

I've just bought a damage repairable 2011 ex BG caddy as a cheap camper project. The van came without a battery (yup complete madness I know because that could hide all manner of issues) tried my normal MK2 Golf battery on it. Lights on the dash with the battery light flickering engine not cranking. The battery isolator has been bypassed still no joy. I'll get the correct battery because it has stop start, but expected it to at least crank over. Could it be an imobiliser fault or would I still expect it to turn over?
I have'nt got an OBD reader, not sure if that would be any use at this stage?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: 2011 Ex BG 1.6TDI Caddy not cranking over

Post by Doc »

The immobiliser will block the engine running, it will still allow the engine to to start but not run.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
AlwynMike
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by AlwynMike »

Personally, I wouldn't bother going to the expense of a Stop Start battery. A normal battery is fine, just the S/S may not operate.

Unless of course you really want the Stop Start!!
Jezzaroo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jezzaroo »

Are you sure it has stop start?

I've not come across an ex BG with it.....but I could be wrong. :roll:
AndyBa
Caddy Fan

Post by AndyBa »

Well with the key in the ignition and switched on the lcd display says "depress clutch". That is how our Skoda Citigo stop/start works. But I could also be wrong!
Are you saying that depressing the clutch is just a safety feature on more modern VAG vehicles? - our other car is an 08 Skoda Scout so pre stop/start depress clutch malarky!
Apparently an imobiliser fault shouldn't stop it cranking which aligns with how my old-skool laserline imobiliser works.
So based on some feedback re-checking the battery leads and check/swapping the ignition switch seem to be the first easy fixes. I suspect the clutch connector may be working based upon the fact the "depress clutch" message disapears.
Last edited by AndyBa on Thu May 13, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dislexicdonkey
200BHP+

Post by Dislexicdonkey »

My 2011 ex Brit gas one does the same (depress clutch). As far as I’m aware it’s on nearly every single VAG car from 2009. That’s just literally put your foot on the clutch to start it. (Safety feature)
AndyBa
Caddy Fan

Post by AndyBa »

OK. It appears I am wrong about the "depress clutch" only ever come across stop start on our Citigo and a Kia hire car! Thanks for putting me straight!
So I'll recheck the battery connections and check/replace the ignition switch.
AndyBa
Caddy Fan

Post by AndyBa »

So this weekend I tried some easy fixes.
A replacement Ignition switch came next day when ordered from B&B off ebay, great service and price as ever. Rather than commit to removing the old one I just disconnected it and plugged in the new one. So Key in the ignition and screwdriver dialling round the new ignition switch, no change in symptoms. All lights on the dash and the battery light flashing.
I've also connected the battery live feed directly back to the fuse box missing out the immobiliser, however the immobiliser cables are still connected. Do i need to do anything about them? - assume not.
I also bought a Streetwise OBDII reader from ECP just to see what came up.
Getting code P0671 - Cylinder 1 Glow Plug issue as well as well as 2 x P06?? errors, but nothing else. Having a read thro on the T'internet seems to indicate that this probably isn't causing the no crank issue.
Any advice welcome.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

How is the battery voltage?
To me, because of the flashing battery light, I'm thinking something voltage related.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
AndyBa
Caddy Fan

Post by AndyBa »

Thanks doc. I'm using my puny MK2 Golf battery which works fine on my 1.8 Gti so that might not be man enough. Hopefully we'll get the new battery tomorrow.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

If the immobiliser circuit is still being used the key needs to be next to the pick up ring around the ignition or it won't pick the chip up, some can be very temperamental on placement.

If the battery light is flashing I suggest the problem is in that area. Did you say you've bypassed the inertia switch?
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Cabbs
Hyper Poster

Post by Cabbs »

Sounds like an immobiliser issue to me.

You really could do with it plugging into vcds and firstly clearing all the error codes and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

I've not been been to bed yet so my mind is a bit hazy but I'm pretty sure the engine still cranks if it's an immobiliser issue, it just doest fire or it does until the fuel in the lines is used up. Again lack of sleep may mean I'm wrong but an immobiliser issue brings a light up on the dash I think.

As I mentioned earlier, I am under the impression all modern vehicles should have an inertia switch incase of an accident, I don't know for sure if the caddy has one or where it is but its something to look into.

Plugging into vcds is certainly the right shout imho.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
AndyBa
Caddy Fan

Post by AndyBa »

Auto electrician came today and cleared all the codes. He seemed to think there maybe a dodgy battery to engine earth as previously indicated. Only outstanding code relates to the fact the drivers headlight isn't connected 'cos it got smashed. Cost a little more than I expected but we can now move forward and sort the bodywork.
RESULT!
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

So it now starts and runs?