Ventilation through the bulkhead

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
staelens
Caddy2k Groupie

Ventilation through the bulkhead

Post by staelens »

I recently started my caddy built on a 2018 caddy maxi. Sound deadened the rear, carpeted the whole loading area, made a bed and installed a roof vent. The bulkhead is still in as I have to be able to use the van as a work van to transport stuff. I installed the roof vent for ventilation so I can lock the van when I sleep in it and close the doors. I still have some condensation so I was wondering if its a good idea to drill some vent holes in the bulkhead to get some airflow going? Than I can leave the windows in the front open with grills. I sometimes use a gas heater in the van when its really cold. I do have 2 carbonmonoxide alarms installed but still; better safe than sorry. Has anyone done this? Or are there any other good ideas?
Vlad
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Ventilation through the bulkhead

Post by Vlad »

Maybe before cutting into your bulkhead you could use a tailgate standoff. (Assuming you've got a tailgate and not barn doors).
I've got one for my Maxi Life and it works a treat.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... f&_sacat=0
If you do have to cut the bulkhead, I think you have to make it low down as near the floor as possible to get the maximum air exchange.
Hopefully someone else can confirm this.
Vlad.
staelens
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by staelens »

That is a great idea, but mine has barn doors.
I was planning on drilling pretty much down to the floor on the entire width of the bulkhead, i also wonder if it would make driving a lot noisier...
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

If you have exposed metal surfaces in the back then you’ll pretty much always have a bit of condensation made worse by using a gas heater (not the best option given you’re in pretty much a confined space)

You can get stand-offs for barn doors too, these for example...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Barn-T ... 3640496879

Your other option could be to source a driver or passenger side bulkhead from a SWB Caddy as these have a large mesh panel built in, easy enough to fit a small curtain or blind to prevent folks seeing in the back if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here