Dodgy Service History, should I steer clear?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
jockefc23
Caddy2k Groupie

Dodgy Service History, should I steer clear?

Post by jockefc23 »

First post, looking to buy my first caddy to do up as a small camper.

I'm looking at a 2014 Maxi currently, it has 75kish miles but only has 4 stamps in the service book. Cambelt and Water pump has been changed in January this year.

Opinions on whether this is too sketchy a service history to be sure of condition, or anything I should look for when taking a look at it? The van itself looks in good condition.

Thanks
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: Dodgy Service History, should I steer clear?

Post by Scoobysrt »

Often people don't carry on main dealer services due to perceived cost.
I also beleive vw now keep service history on computer and don't stamp the book but that may or may not be true I don't know from personal experience.

For me a service history isn't important, if its had its first ones at vw then kept maintained by someone's local garage im happy with that.

If you are handy with vehicles you know what to check, there's nothing overly special you need to check on a caddy, if its a 1.6 try to find out any injector history otherwise check the clutch and then just the other normal stuff.

You can ring vw up for any info they have on the van, in my experience they will happily email it to you as long as its not currently on finance.

If you can find someone local with vcds it's worth plugging it in to see any faults that show up.

If you're not mechanically minded someone from a local garage can often be persuaded with some beer money to take a look otherwise places like the aa will do a vehicle check for you.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

What is the dodgy element of the service history?
I'm just looking at your post and some quick maths says that a vehicle on a variable service schedule, serviced at 15k, 30k, 45k and 60k would is be due a service.
Without knowing when and at what mileage, it's difficult to say if is indeed dodgy or not.

Personally, I don't care for service records and id prefer to see print receipts for servicing. The service record book is all too easy to falsify where as a receipt is not so easy.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
jockefc23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jockefc23 »

Thanks, I suppose the title was slightly misleading. I guessed that it should be serviced every year.

I'm not that mechanically minded really but if it looks and feels OK I'm likely just to give it a go.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Also if its a commercial sale you have 14 days cool off period anyway and the seller would have to have very good reason not to take it back even a few weeks after that.
Even private sales have some legal protection as well, gone are the days of sold as seen adverts as they hold no water in court anymore.
Keep copies of all adverts and use your best judgement.

As doc suggests it seems vehicles tend to go from miles covered rather than time owned these days.

It may be worth seeing if it has had any call backs done like the emissions one.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
jockefc23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jockefc23 »

Thanks for the advice.

I've been looking at the MOT history and apart from a headlight aim issue about 3 years ago, it failed the MOT last year due to both rear leaf springs being fractured. Obviously it's passed a few days later but should that cause concern in the way its been used, or is it a normal thing with a van of that age?
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Check if its got new springs and see if the van floor is crushed and dented. See if the rear wheel bearings are OK by jacking it up and seeing if the wheels move at all. Check the brake discs.
Its impossible to tell everything a van has been through just give it a good going over.

Where you based or rather whetes the van based?
mrhutch
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by mrhutch »

post your/vans location, you never know there may be a helpful member nearby that can help you
06 sdi caddy2k :: 81 Transporter T3 :: 2015 Golf 1.4 TSI :: Freelander (sorry)
Herefordshire and all over.
jockefc23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jockefc23 »

Van location is in Cwmbran, I'm in Liverpool. To be honest I'm backing away from it now, if it was closer to me and I knew enough mechanically then I would take a good look, but I don't!
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

From everything you've said I don't see any reason to not go have a look. Sorry if I've put you off it, that wasn't my intention but rather the opposite.
jockefc23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jockefc23 »

Absolutely not you haven't put me off. I think I've just realised there are more options out there.

Currently looking at a 2013 Maxi Kombi DSG with tailgate that I think suits what I want far better, although annoyingly it's even further away than Cwmbran 😂
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

I stuck with my 07 1.9tdi way past its best while I found the right one to replace it, took a while and I had to travel quite a distance but I'm glad I took my time.

Good luck with your search, the right one for you is out there somewhere.