SD slot

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
GeeTee10
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

SD slot

Post by GeeTee10 »

Trying to update the map on the SD card which came with the van. Problem is i can't get the card out. There seems to be some sort of protector / lock thing around it. So, if you press the card to eject it, it gets blocked. Has anyone else seen that sort of thing ? Do I just need to cut it to get the card out, or is there something else going on I am missing.

feeling very stupid here.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: SD slot

Post by Doc »

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

You will have to give us a little more to go on.
Where is this SD card slot?
Which generation of caddy do you have?
Which navigation module do you have?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
GeeTee10
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by GeeTee10 »

sorry,

The SD slot is the left hand one in the radio head unit. Discovery media ( i think ) van is a 67 plate
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Strange, I have this exact unit and do not have a card lock.
Is it possible your van has been a rental or shared vehicle in the past and this has prompted the owner to protect the card against removal by the use of some aftermarket device?
Without seeing a photo of the card slot, it's difficult to advise if it is such a thing. Does it look standard, like the images you might see if you Google search a Discover Media head unit?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
GeeTee10
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by GeeTee10 »

I did get the van second hand, so that is a possibility. It honestly looks like a bit of bent cardboard around the SD card and into the slot. Tempted to just cut it off if no one has heard of anything in the mean time. Tried tweezers to remove it and it's certainly held in there somehow
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

The ones I know of stop you putting a card in at all and clip in, can you get us a picture, if you cut it off you might end up with bits stuck in the slot or worse rattling around the unit.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
GeeTee10
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by GeeTee10 »

slighlty wonky photo. id di get a bit more aggressive this morning in trying to remove it but it gets jammed on something.

how do i add a picture attatchment ?
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Go to somewhere like postimage.org, upload it and then copy the hotlink for forums address from it.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

https://imgbb.com/

No account needed though better with one (free)

Choose BBCode

GeeTee10
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by GeeTee10 »

ta dah
Last edited by Giddy on Wed May 26, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed link to a full size picture
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

👍

Expert may know exactly what is going on, so probably best to wait for that ...

Impatient like me ?
My guess - kept falling out so jammed card in to stop it.
Could try just pulling the lot out with pointy pliers ??

😲🥺
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

You can see the remnants of a "warranty void" sticker so I'm gonna say it was a rental at some point.
Personally, I'd try get something like a fine feeler gauge in there to check it's not glued to the slot.
If you can cut the brown paper down the middle, will this release the SD card?

GeeTee10
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by GeeTee10 »

That was my thought Doc. Turns out it's quite tough, possibly plastic coated paper. A knife wouldn't cut it so some snips may be needed but getting room to get the cutter under will be tricky. Will try the feeler guage trick first later on today. I'm thinkin there is a tab inside stopping the "brown" paper coming out.
MFT
Caddy Fan

Post by MFT »

Would perhaps a pointed scalpel type blade slip underneath and cut along one of the folded ridges? I reckon that once you've made a cut like that, the SD card might come out with a press as it should. Once out you might see how the card is attached inside.
Mark's Caddy: 2020 Maxi Life 2.0 TDI 6sp DSG 102 PS Indium Grey Metallic (Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle)
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Papa Bear »

I’d be careful if you cut it, pushing a new card in could fold it in and stop card connecting or stop it even going in.
I think I’d take stereo out and see how easy it is to open up the stereo. Chances are it has been opened before to put in the plastic in the first place.
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS