Underbody treatment

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
veedubgub
100BHP+

Underbody treatment

Post by veedubgub »

Removed the ply floor from the previous owner today to reveal some rust build up around one of the tie down rings. I can clean this up and treat with jenolite/hammerite.

Did an inspection under the van in the same area and noticed a tiny amount of surface rust and the surrounding paint beginning to bubble up so probably best to address this sooner rather than later.

would the process for the underside be the same as the inside of the van?

ie, rub back to metal, rust treatment then paint over? do i need an additional underseal/paint

on a side note, is the underside of corrugated metal floor of the vehicle supposed to have protective coating like some sort of under body seal?
mine seems to be just a light grey thin coat of paint and nothing else.
hef355
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Underbody treatment

Post by hef355 »

I would use seam sealer for the corners and seams and wax oil personally if you are cleaning everything up underneath.... if you are 100% sure you’re not going to trap in any moister a good quality stone chip like tetrosyl or gravitex is what I’d use. I’m not a fan of the of the rock hard Raptor stuff for underneath as its not rubberised and can crack after time creating more problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
veedubgub
100BHP+

Re: Underbody treatment

Post by veedubgub »

Thanks, was looking at the hammerite underbody seal with waxoyl but ill check out the things you mentioned.

The underside generally looks in decent condition, just not used to seeing it with what appears to be only paint

Guessing this is standard for the caddy?

just looks like the whole area could do with a bit more protection from the elements
bobdebouwer
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by bobdebouwer »

When sorting rusty bits out, I always go for vactan. It's worked a treat for me on everything from old Alfas to Tranny vans.

I'm currently in the process of welding up the sills and steps on a mk6 transit minibus, and Vactan has worked a treat on areas that aren't too bad.
Cadyuh
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Cadyuh »

I've seen quite a lot of pics on here linked to photobucket accounts - am i ok to post pics directly into the post or do they have to be hosted elsewhere? just wanted to ask if anyone was prepared to comment on the underside of a Ex BG Caddy i am looking at, in order to get a 2nd / 3rd opinion on the underside before i progress the chat with the seller, thanks if anyone can help, don't want to break any forum rules etc
soon: 66 plate Caddy Maxi 2.0L 102 Bhp Manual (Ex BG)
past: 19 plate Caddy Maxi Life 2.0L 150 Bhp DSG
Pro Marmite forum noob 8)
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

Hi mate, you’re fine to post photos direct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
PaulC61
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by PaulC61 »

I was looking to use Lanoguard to do the underneath of my Caddy next year. A mate has just done his Landie with it and reckons it's pretty good. Only downside is that it takes a week to fully go off. www.lanoguard.co.uk/collections/moto/pr ... s-care-kit
My Pure Grey Maxi Kombi Build viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32111
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

They have to be hosted somewhere as this forum doesn't host pictures.
I use postimage.org but photobucket and others work just as well although I think photobucket watermarks the images which is annoying.
To put the image in your post you copy the hot link for forums text you get on such image loading sites.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

Recommended

Www.Imgbb.com

There's also the Attachment tab just below the post text box, next to options ...